Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can i Put Admin paswword for win 98 se??

Cool Can i Put Admin paswword for win 98 se??

hello guys ,
    I am a newbie in this field , i would like to know that , is there any possibility that we can put a admin password in win 98 se just like in case of WIN2K or NT ??

one way is to make psw in BIOS to give acess for authirised person but i would like to give admin option in WINDOWS logon which should not give authority unless paswword matched.. Cancel button should not work .. ??

hope u will give some feedback..

Thanking you ...
    Be Cool ..

Windows 98 is not a secure operating system so the answer to your question is no.
    I suggest you get XP or 2k as they are secure.
    [pong][gloworange]665[/gloworange] Next door to the [glowpurple]devil[/glowpurple][/pong]

2k is secure. Windows XP Pro CAN be secure if you do some tweaking. XP Home, no way to make it secure.

Using password in Win 9x will not stop any people who want to access to your computer.
    XP is actually the best secure Windows version (if you configure it correctly). And with it, you haven't got the feelings you're using a shareware/demo/beta version.

So...
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Re: Can i Put Admin paswword for win 98 se??

Originally posted here by viruss
    hello guys ,
    I am a newbie in this field , i would like to know that , is there any possibility that we can put a admin password in win 98 se just like in case of WIN2K or NT ??

one way is to make psw in BIOS to give acess for authirised person but i would like to give admin option in WINDOWS logon which should not give authority unless paswword matched.. Cancel button should not work .. ??

hope u will give some feedback..

Thanking you ...

Not really - Win98 is not secure at all, not anywhere close to Win2000 or NT. Win2000 and NT both have Administrator accounts (with an admin password) standard - then you can add more accounts to the system with different access rights. These administrator accounts have full access to the system (to perform maintenance, etc) because they have administrative rights to the system. With other accounts you set up, you have the option to limit their rights to something such as Power User, Restricted User, etc., each offering a certain amount of access to the system. Win98 accounts aren't based on access rights, therefore, administrative accounts do not exist. In fact, I don't even see why Win98 even uses accounts at all since you can't really secure them.

So, at the end of the day, the answer to your question is no...
    - Maverick

yeah, KissCool, but in XP home, when your comp says that some services are disabled (even if you've deleted the files that allow you to turn it off in XP Pro), they're still running, just don't appear to be running, so if someone knows this, and uses one of those OS scanners, then bad news....

Yes it's right, but I don't know any silly guy using XP home edition and there are a lot of software in order to really control your OS.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Wink IM THE INFORMATION SPOUNGE (I can't spell!)

Hey guys,
    First off I'd like to say I'm a little more then pissed that my team England lost to the narcissistic and ugly Brazilian team, but I'll be ok. Well... I'm a information hungry person, with plans for the future. Whenever I become interested in somthing I MUST know every shred of detail about it and how to go about doing whatever it is that I want to do. Recently (well... a year ago) I became interested in "hacking" if you want to call it that and I know some of you guys on this site are GODS of computers in every way shape and form and so, as a newbie to the "hacking" or "Penatration testing" world I ask... You turn on your friends computer, and soon, the loggin screen comes up for his Windows 2000 pro OS. You want to loggin as the "Administrator" and screw around with the files. How would you do it? What programs (if any) would you use? If you would like to answer me via Email I'm at Noob_tobias@hotmail.com I'M INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS SAY!
    Thanks
    -ICKY-BOD

viruss...there are some shareware progs and pay progs which attempt to do the kinds of things you want to do...but these will only deter the most basic attempts at circumvention...usually all that is required is a boot to safe mode...but i suppose if you're stuck witn 98 it's better than nothing...

google for em

as has been said 2k is the only way to really implement a secure logon/file access system.

as for: "icky-bod"

I know some of you guys on this site are GODS of computers in every way shape and form
    think by this you'll make friends here??...

and so, as a newbie to the "hacking" or "Penatration testing" world I ask...
    as a newbie to ao ...go read the faq...learn how and where to post...this should have been the start of a new thread...so we could have flamed your ass and not ruin a valid post...

You turn on your friends computer, and soon, the loggin screen comes up for his Windows 2000 pro OS. You want to loggin as the "Administrator" and screw around with the files. How would you do it?
    why would you want to do that to a "friend"...not much of one you are i'd say

What programs (if any) would you use?
    i wouldn't...but i'd also spend 30 seconds and search google and the archives before asking such a lame question...

I'M INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS SAY!

THIS IS NOT A HACKING SITE...GO AWAY (that's what i'd say....)
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

xp pro is secure as hell as far as i'm concerned. stupid freakin sid's stopped me for about 3 hours the other day. i forgot all about em. they give numbers to the identiy and users of the computer. *sighs*
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.