Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tech Update - The future is coming!

Brace Yourself.

Ok, first off.. I am glad the future is comming.. I was watching the movie "Minority Report" (you know with tom cruise) and he walks into his lil apartment and says "I'm Home" and the lights turn on and his whole apartment comes to life.

Personally I hope Linux would run the digital home.
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

LOL! Microsoft is a virus that spreads through out homes. I bet that this system will fully fail as you will need a wireless keyboard and mouse to access everything. Touch screens are too expensive. Also, we DO NOT need microsoft to shift PCs to the living room. After AMD releases it's 64-bit "Hammer" processers, I will get a dual AMD "Hammer" or "Op." processer system. Guess where will I put this system? In my living room! It will be attached to my 5.1 system, TV, and most of all, will put monitors there too to hi-resolution gaming! NOW! DID THAT NEED THAT MONEY GRABBING SOB to get my PC to my living room? HECK NO! I would also attach it to my Satelite to record, pause, and replay living programmings.

I would rather install the IBM something "HOME" system.

What would win this, for any company, would be ease of use....
    And whether you like Microsoft or not, you've gotta admit, they make things easy...

Nothing would kill this idea off quicker than the average user, in this case, the average couch potato, having to actually think *heaven forbid * about how to turn on the radio, or the tv... they wouldn't care if their TV crashed once in a while, if they can just point, and press a button on the remote, and have their favourite movie just pop up onscreen...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

/me wonders how long it would take to reboot a house...

GEL

Hey, I would love an interactive house, that sounds excellent! But more advanced than in the article. I once read some cheesy 80s SF novel called Mercedes Nights, think it was Michael Weaver wrote it, and while it wasn't exactly a mesmerising plot I really loved how in the time the story was set, all the houses were run by computers with AI I think, they would assess stress levels in the occupants and offer narcotics, medication and appropriate music when necessary. Those houses were brilliant, roll on the future!

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Personally, I worry about the "true" internet appliances... that is, times where you dishwasher, frig, washing machine, etc... they'll all be hooked up to the internet and will automatically do things like keep the inventory of your fridge and order your groceries for you based on your usage. Of course, it'll all be done by Microsoft first... and then the fridge will GPF and lock the crisper drawer and you'll need to back, but... HeHe...

But just imagine the real security implications... fridge is running SNMP or something equivalent and somewhere in the OID there's a "light" status indicating the last time it was turned on. What do you think the chances of someone hacking in to someone's fridge and seeing that indicator? Furthermore, what do you think it tells them if the light hasn't been on in, say, the last few days or even a week or two?
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I'm with gstudios all of this has been done already. Simple freware programs already to read bar codes if you have a scanner, feed a DVD from the computer to the TV why when DVD players are like 89 bucks. Anway thing is if you do it yourself none of the stuff is going to phone home or anyone. Excuse me I do not want my local food store to keep track of what I may eat or drink, watch on my TV or where I surf. Use this product the EULA from M$ makes the the owner of all your information. Currently there is a civil case where Safeway used it customer card to prove in court a person injured in their place of business purchased beer real regular more so then other customers and it is not their fault this person must have been drunk. Funny thing about this is Safeway knows the beer was purchased but don't know who drank it now do they. This product is like the old 12 foot long stereo console any part of it breaks and the entire system is junk. No doubt more added customer need this stuff from M$ even the security path to their media player EULA gives them the right to get on your computer, want your grocery store in your frig next?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg