Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Me Blues

Unhappy Windows Me Blues

[glowpurple]I NEED SOMEONE'S HELP![/glowpurple]
    Well Let me get to the point
    My grandad's computer (750mhz Compaq Presario) Has windows Milenium Edition installed on it. All in all it works ok with very few errors and i find it to be an ok system...

[gloworange]HOWEVER![/gloworange]

...And im not sure if this is my DSL connection (which by the way is just a standard issue SNET provided DSL) or if there is some bug that is causeing my anguish, but almost EVERY time i try to download somthing (mostly .exe files) the computer freezes, and goes to a black screen w/ small milimeter thin lines accross the screen. It happens often whenever i try to download a game patch, OR if im using Kazaa (media desktop). Im SURE someone here has had the same problem, and knowing me I've probably all pissed you off enough with my rather stupid posts but if any of you guys/girls can find it in your heart to help me out (and the monitor which has been the recipiant of many PO'd slaps) Tell me whats going on and how to stop it!
    -Icky-bod

AntiOnline Newbie
    this may not be of much help but i to also use windows me and yes i have used kazza. there was two things that i had to do before it fixed it. first when downloading from kazza most peeps try to download to many files at one time and btw it is boot leg stuff so that does not help. cut back to 3 to 5 file at a time. now that helped me some but what i had to do was clean out my temp files every few hrs. it also help but the best thing that has work was do a disk clean i also used nortons system works witch has a found and fix program on it. if you dont have a found and fix program or a dish clean you may want to try www.webattack.com as they have over 2000 freeware,shareware and addon.

hope that helps

wortcraft

Thank you VERY much, i will try that! i Appriciate you helpping me out

Ok, Windows ME has got to be one of the worst Windows distro's out ever.
    I advice everyone to switch to either 2000 or back to 98.
    Windows ME has serious memory managment problems, every OS should be able to manage it's memory but ME can't.
    It uses all the memory (yes even if it's 128 megs) and then starts using the harddrive, what happens? system becomes slow and there comes the blue screen of death.
    M$ hasn't solved the problem and most computer manufacturers stopped shipping their systems with ME very quickly.

AntiOnline Newbie
    Yes i would have to say that is true as far as the memory but i like it anyway because it has some good to it that 98 does not. win2000 is nice also but most peeps dont have the money for it. and alot of peeps play game on it somesomething you just cant do with win2000 that good as it locks up but all and all i guess its what you are looking for in an OS.

wortcraft

I like ME for a few reasons, and heres why
    -It plays ALL of my games (2000 wont)
    -Its no where near as expensive as 2000
    -It takes 400000% less time to reboot
    -and GENERALLY, ive had no errors (except for the one up top) ((knock on wood))

Leviatan: About the memory issues, I've never had any problems or anything with WinME. I hear of tons of other people getting screwed over by it and all, but I've had this OS installed for about a year and a half now on two different computers and I've never even gotten one BSOD. Not even one. That's much more than I can say for Win98, where I used to get about three or four per day. To all his own opinion, though, of course, just telling ya that it's not hurtful to everyone out there who's using it. Hehe, still prefer my OpenLinux, though.

Ichabod74

Hey I used to work for compaq and the problem that you have know is kind of known... til i remmember go to www.hp.com and them select compaq products and find the video drivers for the computer you grandpa has, and also i'll suggest to install the romPAQ for that kind of computer.
    I hope it solve the problem.
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

ohh i forgot "virus" windows ME probably is the worst OS the Microsucks put in the market...
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

I have windows "ME" and even though i can play all of my games (yay!) it still crashes a hell of a lot.