Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bann User Ip

Bann User Ip

Im not sure if this is an option already, but I wanted to ask if perhaps (under certain curcumstances **coughs Komo coughs**) that their could be a bann by user IP. As of now, I know of banning by nickname but in some extreme cases such as er.. that Ko dude, I think that banning by IP should be a option. Just a small suggestion since I think loads of people are tired of that Komo guy.

AntiOnline Newbie
    Banning his IP will do no good just more work for the office as all he has to do is call his IP office and say that he needs a new IP addy. and it will be given to him with in 5 mins.

wortcraft

The Iceman Cometh
    I *really* like that suggestion. The problem is if he uses dial-up, he'll have a dynamic IP. It wouldn't really be fair to ban a series of IPs just to make sure he couldn't come back because that would affect others as well. Though, with the logs, I'm sure JP could see if it's static or dynamic, and if it's static, I give my thumbs up. :-)

AJ

The Iceman Cometh
    True, wortcraft, but maybe he'd actually learn his lesson. He's already been banned three times... (and he already has negatives on his newest account). if he hasn't learned it by now, maybe banning his IP will wake him up.

AJ

Oh. Sorry this was kinda a bad suggestion. I forgot about having dialup. If he doesn't, why would he go through all that trouble just to be unbanned from AO? He wouldnt go through such a process to be unbanned from AO. My opinion, again.

Guess all user's IP's are static, what if using a proxy?

Like yours says, it would say proxy detected.

AntiOnline Newbie
    yea true maybe he has learned. but he is going to keep getting negs on his new name even if he dont say but hello because he has already upset a few peeps. i would have to say that i thank his best bet is to start a new man and not tell anyone and no use any of is ko*** if he his realy here to learn/teach. the way it looks he spend most of his time typeing about pts. like it is a game.

good luck in what ever he does.

wortcraft

What would probably keep most of the kiddies out would be a "poison" cookie. If, persay, someone got banned... the next time they visited the site a cookie was fed to their browser that looked a whole lot like a session id, but was a "permanent ban" for the browser. Of course, this would work only for the amount of the time cookie is cached (64k I think is the spec, though explorer seems to keep a crapload more than that) and is, technically, defeatable. But it would probably trim the moron population down a bit.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

No, I'm not using any proxy now, I use them sometime, but not now.
    I don't know why some times under my post says "proxy detected" while I am not using one, and sometimes it disappeared.
    I wanted to discuss it in a thread but after searching I found the same thing was posted, but JP just said that it is not a bug and he closed it. But I guess it is, because neither I and my ISP using proxy.