Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open or save

AntiOnline Newbie

open or save

ok i have two things to ask here. for 1 what i a DAt file and what program do i use to open them?

and for 2 what to do when i download? everytime i go to download a file/program it ask do i wish to save to disk or open. i have always picked open and it does the job most of the time but some times if i dont save it to disk it will not work.

how do i know when to save to disk or just to open it? thanks for all your help.

p.s. i can't beleave i am sitting here playing madonna. shoot me

wortcraft

Re: open or save

Originally posted here by wortcraft
    ok i have two things to ask here. for 1 what i a DAt file and what program do i use to open them?

and for 2 what to do when i download? everytime i go to download a file/program it ask do i wish to save to disk or open. i have always picked open and it does the job most of the time but some times if i dont save it to disk it will not work.

how do i know when to save to disk or just to open it? thanks for all your help.

p.s. i can't beleave i am sitting here playing madonna. shoot me

wortcraft
    Hmm,
    Well, I assume you're using a variant of Windows as your operating system.
    If that's the case, you're better off downloading files to your hard disk and
    then scanning them with your antivirus program. As far as a DAt file, I have no idea what you mean. Give us some more information please.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

There are many uses for .dat files. Some multimedia files are saved in .dat, kazaa, when it is not yet done downloading a file saves that file to a .dat extension and windows itself uses the .dat extension, though rarely.

Banned
    Virus Scanners such as McAfee keeps their virus info list in .dat files....

You usually save to disk, unless it's a program like Flash, Fonts or some other stuff (keep in mind it's to your discretion!)

dat files are data files usualy in ascii
    in windows regedit is a dat file
    Save to disk then run a virus scan
    mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

Also in windows u have sys.dat and user.dat that is your registary
    mike
    Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.....

AntiOnline Newbie
    thanks for all the help guys/girls but 1 more thing what program do i use to open a DAT file? i try to open 1 and then it ask what i want to use to open it. And i run winme, 128 ram, 40 gig hard disk, 1.2 pros. if that helps.

wortcraft

You can try notepad to open dat files.
    Many are configuration files, and are
    plain text.
    If you open one and see gibberish, it is
    binary data. Don't mess with it.
    In fact, be careful not to make any
    changes to the text files either.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Geez, didn't you learn something from all the uses for .dat files? You can't use one program and expect to open all those correctly. Where did you get this file? That might help answer your question.

The Iceman Cometh
    If you post the name and location of the .dat file, that may help. As everyone has said, many different programs use dat files for varying purposes. There is absolutely no way we can know what program to open your specific dat file with if we don't know what the dat file belongs to.

AJ