Thread: proxy?

proxy?

What is a proxy?Thanks

To my understanding the main purpose of a proxy is to cache web pages so if people visit them often they don't have to download them again each time they revisit a web page. Some proxies are also firewalls and can run NAT(Network Address Translation) and block certain incoming ports or outgoing ports. That's pretty much an extremely basic explanation of a proxy. I'm sure I left a lot out, but hope that helps a little.

GEL

Proxy - This is the use of one computer or device to make requests in place of another over a network. Proxies are often used for Internet security or control of connections. You can use a proxy or proxy server to pass data between your internal network and the Internet. A machine on your network sends a request to the proxy. The proxy sends the request to a server on the Internet. Thus, it stands in for the computer on your network. The server on the Internet never knows that the request is coming from anywhere but the proxy. Thus 100 machines on your network could all access an Internet server and it would look like the proxy was making all of the requests. Some proxies have caching and site filtering built in.

for security or hacking or anony you can go through the proxy so that the server or reciever etc doesnt know its you. but they can ask the proxy and maybe trace you that way. you can also you chains which means go through multiple proxies.

So are there websites that offer proxy service? Is that how it works. If you are just a lone internet user and wish to use a proxy you have to find someone who offers it as a service on the internet?

And if you have your own network you could just set up a computer yourself to be a proxy server?

Do you pay for proxies if you don't have your own?

A proxy echoes infrormation from one place to another place. Some may cache it to speed things up (like with a SQUID proxy). It saves commonly viewed web pages (like maybe www.google.com or www.antionline.com) on its hard drive, so it doesn't have to request the page each and every time someone wants to go to that web site. A good example is http://pureprivacy.com. You tell it to go to a website, and it sends you to it through its proxy. Its a good way to bypass filters actually. When you go to www.google.com on pureprivacy.com, it shows that you are still at www.pureprivacy.com. Thats because its through the proxy.
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-++++
    +|p|h|a|s|e| |o|n|e| |r|e|t|a|l|i|a|t|i|o|n|++
    +++++++-+-+-+-+-+ +-+-+-+ +-+-+-+-++

honestly phase1retaliate do you really think hes still looking for an answer after 2 years?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

in the simplest way, you can say proxy is when you want to hide the real person/ machine behind the fake name...
    for example, in computers, proxy ips are used to hide the real ip addresses.. one proxy ip can hide 10 ip addresses within it..

woops, sorry, i didnt seen the date...

but still this can help other newbies, who wanted to know about the same...
    Now is the moment, or NEVER!!!

Actually i'm a newbie and it's helped me.

But i dunno why phase1retaliate answered this though lol. What i'm wondering is, and i've been wondering for a while now : when you see people in the films try and trace someone and they've only got a limited amount of time to get off the line before the trace get's to them, is this done by using each location as a different proxy?

I've been trying to work out how it could actually happen, not so that i could do it but just so that i can understand how it works just for the sake of knowing. Ha, i'm no hacker anyway i only just found out how to make a new folder in windows!!! (and even then i had to ask. )
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"