Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to Sell Ad Space in Error Messages

Talking Microsoft to Sell Ad Space in Error Messages

Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) announced that it is selling advertising space in the error messages that appear in Windows. Acknowledging for the first time that the average user of their operating system encounters error messages at least several times a day, Microsoft is trying to take financial advantage of the unavoidable opportunity to make an ad impression.

"We estimate that throughout the world at any given moment several million people are getting a 'General Protection Fault' or 'Illegal Operation' warning. We will be able to generate significant revenue by including a short advertising message along with it," said Microsoft marketing director Nathan Mirror. He also mentioned that Microsoft is intended to add banner ads into its Blue Screen of Death in the near future.

The Justice Department immediately indicated that they intend to investigate whether Microsoft is gaining an unfair advantage in reaching the public with this advertising by virtue of its semi-monopolistic control over error messages

str34m3r
    Extremely funny sumdumguy. Good post.

If this were true, then we would probably see microsoft putting in even more triggers for the blue screen of death (as if they didn't already have enough of them).

yeah, thats a good one, it would cost loads to place an advert for you company there tho, considering the audience. I am sure some third party companies already have advertising in error messages... P
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

it wouldnt suprise me a bit if Micro$oft tried to pull something like that, i can see it now

"System error. During the time that Microsoft is using to screw over you machine, please take a moment to spend more of your hard earned money to fund monopolies around the world.

Your system will restart in about 5 seconds. Thank You."
    Who is to say that the next step in evolution is not statistical chance...but rather a byproduct of our own will? That from here on out, nature stops deciding who survives and who doesn\'t, but our own decisions?

-The Monk

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=148

...and then it sends back the marketing information during an "Error Report"

Looks like Bill Gate is not happy with all the money he has and now he wants more

it is funny but sadly we can all see that happening if they thought they could get away with it. It will be their next excuse for all the millions of lines of really lame code...

"This blue screen has been brought to you today by MacDonalds and Bill's quest for world domination..."

LMAO really funny, but what scares me, is that i can see microsoft doing this in the not to distant future...

then what inscentive would they have to 'fix' their oses ?!

The Iceman Cometh
    Good point, Spirit. I don't think it could ever happen, though... that would completely be considered monopolistic practice: taking advantage of errors within an O/S for advertisement would kill Microsoft in their anti-trust suit, because, as you said, there would be no reason for them to fix the errors... it may even prompt them to release programs too early, full of bugs, because they'll do a cost-analysis and discover that the revenue that they lose due to a drop in sales will be compensated for by the money earned from the advertisers. Scary thought...

AJ

...Another good reason to change to *NIX
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.