Lame Lindows

Thread: Lame Lindows

Banned

Lame Lindows

On Friday we reported the appearance of Microtel PCs with LindowsOS pre-installed at Walmart.com. Then, Walmart.com and Lindows were claiming that LindowsOS "delivers the stability of UNIX with the ease of Windows and the ability to run most Microsoft programs." Today, that last phrase has gone missing and there is no more talk of running any programs designed for Windows, let alone Microsoft products.
    They have gone from
    This exciting new OS delivers the stability of UNIX with the ease of Windows and the ability to run most Microsoft programs. These computer systems are a perfect low cost alternative to computers preloaded with Microsoft Windows
    To
    Lindows is an exciting new Linux based Operating System (OS). This exciting new OS delivers the stability of Linux with the ease of Windows. These computer systems are a perfect low cost alternative to computers preloaded with Microsoft Windows ... and they include a trial membership to a library of over 1,000 software programs so they can be outfitted for any purpose whether business, home, or entertainment
    Well looks like lindows couldn't live up to its promises. Actually, maybe, maybe not, we'll just have to see. I don't know anybody though who would want to buy a PC with a beta version of an OS. The rest of the story can be viewed at
    http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/06...8.shtml?tid=23

GreekGoddess
    Lindows was very eyecatching at first. But after the whole Microsoft lawsuit, the creator backed down to most of the things he promised. Another thing I didn't like about it, after extensive research on the OS, is the fact that it's not open source. To get a copy of the beta cd cost you a little under 100 bucks.

Banned
    You can download versions of it online though they aren't the most current one. I didn't know it wasn't open source, how did you find that out?

GreekGoddess
    Lindows to my knowledge is still in beta testing. In fact, I think I just read the other day that it's in stage two of it. Lindows has a program on their site to become a 'Lindows Insider' where you order your beta cd as a contribution to the project, or whatever. This is pissing of Linux/Unix users because it was built off the Linux kernel and because the creator has not released the source code yet, it violates the GPL (general public license). The creator claims that he will be releasing the code after Lindows is out of beta testing.

Originally posted here by GreekGoddess
    The creator claims that he will be releasing the code after Lindows is out of beta testing.
    well i dont think that really matters. what the GPL basically says is when there is a binary available that has been build with even one line of GPL code, the source must also be available.

even though its still beta, it IS based on GPL code(as you stated), and there IS a binary available.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.