Uninstalling Linux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uninstalling Linux

Uninstalling Linux

I Want to uninstall Caldera's OpenLinux, I have multiple partitions because I have windows as well. Instead I want to put in Minix in its place, so I figured to uninstall I would have to delete the partition where Linux is installed then remove all ocurances of the operating system useing explorer.scf (Windows explorer). So I used the delete partition found in the Partition Majic software package. I got the error:

Error: #501

Cross_linked files were found.

So I decided to boot to windows and try to figure out what went wrong. I hered about fdisk so I launched DOS and typed fdisk /? and saw that I could view my current partitons with fdisk /status so I did so and got the following:

Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    1 2441 1087 55%
    C: 1354

I am confused, is this 1 partiton or 2? And is the linux partiton still there or gone? I do not want to goof around with fdisk till I know what I am doing, i did find a fdisk tutorial and read it, basicaly it took you step by step in the process ofmakeing a primary and extended partition, It still did not explain the status display very well, so I found another fdisk resource which did discribe the status screen for fdisk but it apeared as if they had a difernt version of fdisk. Any sugestions?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Why do you want to use minix? Linux is better.
    To kill all your linux partiions use fdisk or cfdisk.
    I toor\'d YOU!

The version of fdisk that comes with Windows
    cannot delete or modify the linux partition.

You have to boot into linux, and use fdisk
    from there. You can change the partition ID
    number to a type that minix can use.

Once you do that, though, LILO may give you
    some trouble, because it would still
    be there, trying to boot linux from that partition

The usual way to uninstall LILO is to boot windows (or dos)
    and type the command FDISK/MBR <enter>
    This restores the windows bootloader.

Your minix installer may or may not be able to take it from there.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Try Partition Magic.

Ok, I just tryed to boot to linux so I can use fdisk there but it will no longer boot, my kernel gave an error, When I had used Partition Magic to try to delete the linux partition it gave me the error Cross_linked files were found. But after I clicked ok it seemed to continue to delete the partition. So when I got back into windows I did a fdisk /status because I had hered about fdisk before. It gave me

Disk Drv Mbytes Free Usage
    1 2441 1087 55%
    C: 1354

After reading a bit about fdisk I discovered that disk 1 was indicating I only have one hard drive, and i was useing 55% of it. But under drv on the first line there is no drive letter, could this be linux? I put spaces between the coloms but they just get colapsed here in antionline. But now that I cant boot to linux i am thinking maybe pattition magic did delete the linux partition but how come there is no dive letter on the first line. I luckily had put lilo on a floppy instead of playing with my MBR on the HD so whenever I want linux I insert the floppy and away I go. Therefor I will have no problems with the MBR. I know my HD is a 2 gig HD and when I open up windows explorer and check the properties of the C drive I get:

Used space: 1.24GB
    Free space: 81.7MB
    Capacity: 1.31GB

help?
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

The portion of the disk that is unseen through explorer is your linux partition. I believe it's ext2? Windows can't see it. If your minix installer has an fdisk utility, I would recommend you use that to partition and format the portion of the disk that windoze is unable to view at present.

Partition magic is nice, but it won't help windows see the partition.

In all reality, the fdisk utility that comes w/ your installer of your *nix environment would be recommended.

Hope this helps, regards.

edit: I'm kinda of working under the assumption that your installed is bootable. If not, create the boot floppies and give it a whirl.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Thumbs up

Windows can't see the linux partition, so what
    you see from fdisk (in windows) is normal.
    It is also normal that Windows does not assign a
    drive letter to that part of the disk.
    Each partition has an ID byte in the MBR, identifying
    it as FAT16, FAT 32, etc. If a partition ID is a non-windows
    type it will be invisible. Windows is unaware of it.

If you can still boot linux (from the floppy), then the
    linux installation is still intact. Run fdisk from linux
    and it will give you full information about all of the
    partitions.

As for the "cross-linked files" error, usually, this is a
    problem in the file allocation table on a FAT file system
    Run scandisk to fix that. If scandisk finds nothing wrong
    with your windows partition, you may have a rare
    problem in the MBR, ie "illegal" values defining the partitions.
    (partitions that don't start and end on cylinder boundaries,
    and other wierd stuff)

ok this is starting to make sence, Iwindows fdisk will not see the linux partition because it is a difernt file system, but linux's fdisk will see all partitions because it was beter made

Ok, linux will not boot now problably because I atempted to delete the linux partition with boot magic, and I problably got the error because I had disk errors, so I ran a full scandisk with automaticaly fix errors. Now when I try to use partition magic to delete partitions it gives me the error Unable to remove linux partitions. The operating system partition to be removed was not found. And I verifyed that by useing the other part of Partition Magic to set up a new linux partition, chooseing to manualy choose the partition I saw one partition formated for FAT 32 and DOS with my windows on it, labled drive C: and then I discovered the rest of my 2Gig HD was labled *: and the status indicated it was free space. So I now know windows is on a partition with 1 354.5MB and 1 289.5MB free, then the second partition is free space, I am guessing that is where linux was, now it is labled free space, it has 1 082.8MB and when I do all the math I get my 2 Gig, so my problem now is how do I put that 2nd partition will all the free space as part of the first partition. I started the LIZZARD (linux install wizard) thart comes with calderas open linux and I got to the select the partitions to use area and had two opetions, one was to install on the entire HD or to manualy choose the partition since the option for pre-prepared partition was not active. So I got the following information

my HD is /dev/hda
    /dev/hda4 to /dev/hda2 is not used
    /dev/hda1 has Windows and FAT32 file system. It said the size is 1386MB and the start is 1 and end is 344

So I am assuming all that remainder space that is not on the C: drive is /dev/hda4 - /dev/hda2

So if i add the space from hda4 to hda2 i get the remainder of the 2 Gig HD which apears to be 2gig - 1386MB

So I can problably fix my problem by useing this partition utility that comes with caldera, it has an option where i can edit any partition I want and it can see all partitions, much beter then the windows fdisk. I guess it is caldera's fdisk in graphical mode. The questiuon now is, should i modify one of the hda4 - hda2 to start at 345 and take up the remainder space, then select it to be formated with Windows FAT32 filesystem or should I modify hda1 which i am assuming is the priimary partition, to take up the entire HD instead of stoping at 344. I assume the start and stop numbers are sectors or clustors or something?

I am very sorry for asking silly questions, I have found some fdisk tutorials but they did not help much and now I just got Red hat linux 6.0 today with a book teach yourself linux programing in 24 hours so I am itching to get started. My origional plan was to put in minix so I can learn how operating systems work but red hat sounds too fascinateing.

This was hardly a silly question. You had an issue that you didn't understand, you asked a well formed question and got what we hope was good advice. If you have learned something from this, then it wasn't silly, nor was it in vain.

I subscribe to the "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" theory. I think the post was worthwhile as it will help others that may be having a similar issue but feel it's too silly to ask.

Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Do not modify dev/hda1. Attempting to change the size will
    destroy your windows system. I would delete dev/hda4 and dev/hda2
    and recreate dev/hda2, dev hda3, etc while installing redhat,
    or another fat32 partition, if I was making it a pure windows machine.

You have to choose the custom install in redhat, I believe, if you want to set
    up for dual boot. You must have a swap partition and one or more
    "linux native" partitions.