Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer

Don't listen to these people, they haven't seen the light that is Opera. Don't let the banner add scare you: It's small, unobstrusive, and easily blocked if you really have to. On most sites is as fast or faster than IE, it's very customizable, you can do things like block popups or plugins, all with an easy to reach menu (F12 and a click). Mouse gestures may not be for everybody, but they make web browsing a lot easier and faster. USE OPERA! www.opera.com
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla nĂ¡ engwar.

For raw compliance and functionality, I'd say Mozilla. Uraloony has a valid point, the version of Mozilla that came with RH 7.1 (which was Mozilla 0.73 IIRC) was really crappy, and I downloaded and began to use Opera at that point. One fatal flaw I've found in Opera is Javascript support. A LOT of Javascripts fail to function correctly on Opera.

However, I'm using Mozilla 1.0 RC2, and would use it over Opera in an instant.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

str34m3r
    I have tried Opera, and for a while, it was my browser of choice for windows. Then when I tried Mozila again, Opera got puhed to the side. I haven't had quite as much luck with Opera's version for linux though, so I can't say anything nice about it. Perhaps like uraloony did with Mozilla, I simply got a bad version of Opera for linux, but I have tried them both and I think Opera is a fine web-browser, it's just not my browser of choice.

Didn't realise how many of the sites I visited depend on Java until I fired mozilla v1.. looks and works nice, it is certainly a close cousin of Netscape.. have yet to try NS7.. this is all on windoze 98/me/XP (yep all 3 at moment), haven't got a working linux box to say in that area tho..

Thanks Neg for the link.. always checking other ideas.. it is a shame that my job requires that I play M$ games (ie where did me status bar go, why cant i get any web pages 2nite, why kant i print to my network printer .. why cant i open word documnents with out Word? whine whine whine.. blah blah blah.. you know those games..lol)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Last week, my McAfee AV software kindly announced I had an interesting file by the name of COOLST_1.ocx on my system. This is somehow (newbie here) part of the implementation of the BrowsEvt (McAfee's name) trojan. The description on McAfee.com:

http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99457

says "A JavaScript was recently found on a two webpages (on koolkatalog.com and online1net.com), which exploits the Microsoft VM ActiveX Component" Vulnerability. The script modifies the Internet Explorer security settings to automatically install all ActiveX Controls. As a result, an ActiveX Control gets installed, which downloads other trojan components. "

In the thread above some mention was made by cyb3rn3tik about Mozilla being more secure, but the rest of the posts seem to be discussing aesthetics. Is there a difference in the way different browsers would handle this exploit? McAfee mentions MS specifically. Is IE the only browser affected? And more importantly, is there a rational way to pick a "safe browser?"

I have been using (and am right now) Mozilla 1.1a which is the "bleeding edge alpha release," and have had quite a few lockups and crashes. Maybe I'll step back to an older version.

I've used Mozilla 1.0, which has been stable so far, Opera, and IE and I prefer Mozilla because it doesn't ignore security problems and is fast (and also no banners). I know my inexperience was to blame for problems with Opera, but I find Mozilla much easier to work with.
    If a turtle doesn\'t have a shell is he homeless or naked?

The Iceman Cometh
    Furthernet > most ActiveX type-problems target Internet Explorer directly simply because it's easy to get around settings and change settings (as anyone can attest, there are many exploits for Windows and IE). The most recent IE patch may resolve the problem, though I'm not entirely sure. If you're happy with Mozilla but have been having some probelms with it, I would honestly recommend trying Opera or Amaya (which I tried after Negative's suggestion above). I have had a few problems with Opera related to SSL sites, but I found worrkaronds for them. I currently use Opera on one of my XP systems, as well as a Red Hat system. I have yet to try it on an AIX Unix box, but I'm getting kinda fed up with Netscape on it, so I think it's time to make the change. Anyway, good luck with it.

AJ

i have to aggree with the opera idea and chsh is right the java support doesent work to well but keep another browser as back up on u r os if u really need java support.opera is super fast
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Take a good look at the code for Mozilla.............notice anything?............Hold on...........just a few more bytes........HEY!!! its the same code as IE!!!!

I rock firefox