Help Installing RH Linux 7.3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Installing RH Linux 7.3

Banned

Help Installing RH Linux 7.3

ok..i just bought redhat linux 7.3 today, and i go to install it (i'm only gonna run one OS) and i use the DOS Utillity and it says this machine is in V86-Mode...does that mean i can't run linux or... that i need to do something...
    thank you for your help

Banned
    What do you mean dos utility? You know you can't install linux and windows on top of each other right????

Banned
    yeah..but what is like a "Dummies guide to installing Linux?"

It sounds like you are running LOADLIN to launch
    the linux installation from DOS.
    This only works when you are running
    plain DOS, not a DOS window in windows.

If your computer supports booting from the
    CD, just put in the CD and reboot.
    If it won't boot from CD, then you can
    run AUTOBOOT.BAT from the dosutils
    directory on the CD (Ithink that's what you
    tried when you got the error message)

Another way to launch the install is to create
    a special boot floppy. There are instructions in
    the images directory for this.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    Oh, is that what he was asking? Geez, I had no idea, lol.

Plot the CD in and reboot. You box should support booting from a CD I don't see why it wouldn't. After you have the CD in and reboot, you'll come to the installation screen. It'll give you some options on how you want to install it but I'm guessing you'll want a graphical installation so just press enter and you should be on your way. I should warn you though, winmodems aren't suported and you should prolly read about winmodems if you plan on connecting to the internet..

Banned
    well. i figured it out.. i just deleted my C:\ drive and just ran the CD..everything works fine its just that i can't get the internet on that computer because it doesn't have the driver to my ethernet card is there a way i can get it on there?

You didn't have to delete your C:\ drive.. In the partition part of the installation you can select to remove all partitions and format em to install RH.. Yes there is a way to install your ethernet card but you'll have to find out what kind of modem you have first. BTW, if it's not reading your card, how u posting? Different box?

Banned
    yeah..different box.. i have an aDSL modem..but it is hooked up to a router and routed into my room...oh, i tried to fdisk it but it wouldn't let me..so i just deleted C:\

Banned
    There are a few ways to use broadband with linux. I only know the way I used my red hat with my cable, I am guessing it is different with DSL. I also think it depends on whether you use USB to connect your modem and NIC, so try using those specifics on a search on google. Maybe something like "linux DSL USB" (if you use USB)