Thread: Stopping Virii spreading by address book

Thumbs up Stopping Virii spreading by address book

E-Mail Viruses
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's a little trick you can use to stop the spread of pc viruses...
    Create a contact in your email address book with the name !0000 with no email address in the details. This contact will then show up as your first contact. If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will pop up an error message saying that:
    The Message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check your address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail address.
    You click on OK and the offending (virus) message would not have been sent to anyone.
    Of course no changes have been made to your original contacts list. The offending (virus) message may then be automatically stored in your "Drafts" or "Outbox" folder. Go in there and delete the offending message. Problem is solved and virus will not spread.

AntiOnline Newbie
    My understanding is that that used to work. But with the more recent ones, such as Klez, which use their own SMTP engine, it is no longer applicable. Someone who understands these things better than I will no doubt comment further.

Thanks for that info Airhead!!
    I had never heard of this defense before so i posted it.I use Norton 2002 so it picks up Klez.