WinXP Pro question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Pro question

Banned

WinXP Pro question

If I upgrade from Windows ME to XP will my hard-drive me formatted? If so, how do I keep this from happening? Thanks

no it won't

Banned
    When you upgrade, it never automatically formats your drive. It would be safe and I would highly recommend the upgrade.

Banned
    It shouldn't be formatted. Pick the upgrade option, and with ME you can either upgrade from the XP upgrade or from the full version of XP. If you wanted to reinstall windows, then you might have to format your hard drive, but it sounds like you want to upgrade, not reinstall, so no.

Yes, you can upgrade to XP with no problem. First hit "ctl, alt, del" and kill all renning services. This is a neccesity if you run an antivirus progy. Kill everything except "explorer" and "systray". Then put in your XP cd. It will ask you if you want to preform a hardware commpatability check or install. Do the check then install. It will ask you if you want to use your current file system or convert it to NTFS. With XP you can use either option and it will not lose any data. It will install just fine. I have upgrade a kazilion of my clients puters from ME and 98SE to XP without a hitch or loosing data.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    Great, thanks for the help you guys.

Mind I do recommend XP with NTFS.. just my .02 worth..

P2P Glad to hear you haveing success with the upgrades.. curious as to the upgrades are they to XP pro or home and NTFS or fat32?

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Banned
    om something that i noticed when i reinstalled xp over xp (it was in need ot serius repair) was that it wiped out all of the my docs and the reg and most of the sysfiles and downgraded everyupgraded drivers to the ones that come with xp, so back up everything that you can. also, of you run he convert program to make fat into ntfs ive noticed that the fs seems to slow down alot so it may be best to do a full format after backing up your data, but ntfs dosnt have anything much over fat32 so you dont need to do it, just if you want to thats what id recomend doing insted of the convert command

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    Mind I do recommend XP with NTFS.. just my .02 worth..

P2P Glad to hear you haveing success with the upgrades.. curious as to the upgrades are they to XP pro or home and NTFS or fat32?

Cheers
    XP Pro with 75% being NTFS and 24% being FAT32.............
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Banned
    75 and 24 percent? asin you still have people that are useing fat16? he he he ill stick to my ext2 thank you very much