Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Feature: Suicide Threads!!!!!

Banned
    This thread has committed suicide.
    Due to the overall poor quality of the discussion that was
    taking place in this thread, the AntiPoints System has
    automatically closed it from further posts.
    IMHO, The antipoints system is becoming too powerful and is controling the site more than it used to.... Closing threads, banning users, etc.

AO has become a popularity contest, not a forum....

Forum - A public meeting place for OPEN discussion
    Users (like JRoc), who have gotten new accounts are scared to say what they think about a post from fear of being banned... As soon as JP intrpduced the AO balancing greenies became scarce and neg point are given to almost every post.....

AntiOnline is no longer a forum, but a popularity contest......

Good feature JP

nice
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

IMHO, The antipoints system is becoming too powerful and is controling the site more than it used to.... Closing threads, banning users, etc.
    Users (like JRoc), who have gotten new accounts are scared to say what they think about a post from fear of being banned... As soon as JP intrpduced the AO balancing greenies became scarce and neg point are given to almost every post.....
    i have to agree strongly with these comments.. i really hate the whole idea of balancing your anti points espically.. all this does is force people to find criticism in posts that might not be all that bad.
    the idea of threads closing themselves i belive has good intentions though,and there are alot of real crappy threads i will be happy to never see..i was wondering ..if i a thread dies ,it cant be bumped up can it?

Banned
    Greetings All:

Ah, good idea "destined 2 fail".

From now on any thread that's been closed (no matter how it was closed), it won't be allowed to be bumped up.

I can see there are some undocumented new features, like this:
    This person has been banned from AntiOnline, and as a result, all of their posts have been marked as Hidden. The user was banned for a reason, so this post may: promote illegal activities, contain flames, off topic content, and less-than-family-friendly language, among other things.
    The message appears, for example, here: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...393#post537710

This is cool, but could you still disable their Mood Indicator, that doubles the space the posts take. Not sure about the "User tends to assign" thing either.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    The antipoints system is becoming too powerful and is controling the site more than it used to.... Closing threads, banning users, etc.
    Yes and no. When the site became a forum site and JP first introduced Antipoints, he said that there would be more of a purpose then just having little green dots under your name. Right now, with everything being done at once, this time is a real pain in the ass. But, it will hopefully clean up the forums some. This site used to have a LOT of good information. Now, there is a little good info spaced out between a lot of garbage. Once things calm down a bit, I think this site will get better again.
    As soon as JP intrpduced the AO balancing greenies became scarce and neg point are given to almost every post.....
    Yes, that has been a real pain in the arse also, but I have seen a few people still gaining green dots. Now that most people are getting balanced, this should slow down again.
    AntiOnline is no longer a forum, but a popularity contest......
    That happened a long time ago. By forcing people to have balanced AP's, and closing threads, etc, this may become a forum again. We will just have to get through the hard times.
    i really hate the whole idea of balancing your anti points espically.. all this does is force people to find criticism in posts that might not be all that bad.
    More important then that is that it forces you to think twice about giving postive antipoints to a post that says "nice post" which I have seen in the past.

There is one VERY good aspect of this. I have already seen newbies banned after 1 or 2 posts. Normally, those posts are pretty close to eachother in time, and they don't think before they post them. This will give them a chance, because the thread should commit suicide well before that user is banned. Hopefully, they will realize what is going on, and correct themeslves. If not, then they deserve to be banned.

Users (like JRoc), who have gotten new accounts
    You mean like Freeon/bonfire, Komal/ko123, obilo/debris/celfie/chemical/etc/etc? He was banned for a reason. If he is going to change his way, then he has nothing to worry about. If not..... He started off very badly. He acually shaped up for a while, got a couple of greenies, and became an AO addict. Then he went and did a few stupid things, just like when he started. A person gets banned bassed on how they represent themselves. I will agree that there are some stupid things, because I don't think any antipoints should be assigned based on opinion. bonfire saying he doesn't like JP doesn't mean he should get negative points because he doesn't like JP. He did deserve negative points because it was a stupid thing to say though.

Anyway, soon I think everything will get back to normal, and this forum will actually become a forum again....
    Nice job JP.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Originally posted here by souleman
    More important then that is that it forces you to think twice about giving postive antipoints to a post that says "nice post" which I have seen in the past.
    Funny, just yesterday I thought about how giving positives to "nice posts" has INCREASED. The only reason I can come up with is that first someone gives them negatives and then someone with higher AP status gives them greenies to balance their "zero post" and then it just looks like someone gave them greenies (which actually happened but after the negatives).
    At worst someone gives them negatives again to balance their post and someone else gives them greenies again and....
    We'd definitely have to get a solution for this. Users could refuse to get positive AP's if they think their post didn't deserve them, reseting the "post assigned" to the middle again. This might not be a good solution, though. The 100 times suggested "balancing points" would do it all. Might also be good if a one liner post could be locked (by the author) so that it couldn't get any (positive) AP's unless it got negatives and then the status would return to the middle... Again, just throwing these things for you to consider. Maybe the AP system already has algorithms that count the lenght of the post and think that if it consists of less than <5 words it doesn't count but that still wouldn't solve anything...
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

This will prevent newbs from getting banned because of a stupid first post and make sure they read the tutorials.

Away with the AntiPoints system.
    Bleh.

no comment