Win2k VS XP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win2k VS XP

Win2k VS XP

I would like to see whether people prefer XP or Win2K, in my opinion i prefer 2k, i think XP is too 'friendly'..... security through obscurity is not the way!!! XP seems to hide absolutley everything from you.... but thats just my opinion.... peace
    Stars hide your fires, let not light see my black and deep desires - Macbeth

Why this have been done before. Besides it's sunday that's a holy day

GreekGoddess
    Honestly....I like XP....it may not be the most secure.....but I love the way it looks. It's really not that difficult to navigate. It took me quite a bit of time to get used to it. Things are in different places, but if you ever have a problem with it, you can always switch back to the classic view, and alas...things are very similar to previous Windows versions. I think a lot of the people who dislike XP are people who were too lazy to learn the layout of it. DIFFERENT is GOOD sometimes...and ya gotta love the bubbly futuristic look....

Antionline Herpetologist
    You tell 'em GG! No, seriously, XP might not be the most secure OS around but it is possible to harden XP to quite a large extent. Another thing you want to consider is that XP is definitely more secure than any of the Win9x series and possibly even WinNT (4.0). Another thing about XP is that a lot of the holes found in XP were also found in a lot of other MS OS's. All in all, I would actually commend MS for XP and I feel that XP is a step in the right direction for MS. Now if only .NET server is a larger set. <sighs wistfully>
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I think they're both _decent_ OSs for the most part, considering they are coming from MS. However, XP, for the most part, would not be my choice, and that's mainly because of the bulk of it. I prefer to have a quick "point-click-open-run-exit" type thing, but with this OS and my operating system, because it doesn't have more than 128 mb RAM, is more like "point-click-wait-wait-open-run-wait-wait-exit-wait" type thing. It's a pretty OS, I'll give it that, but like I said, just a bit too much bulk for me. Hehe, I'm out of my colorful "emo" stage now, .

being a sysadmin its necessary to know every os in use inside and out. i brought it home to install on a box this weekend, but i havn't had the heart. guess ill fumble threw it for the next week. i really like win2k. i brought drake 8.2 home also, thats going in tonight!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    well i personally have win XP onmy computer and i like it and i have to take off simple sharing so that i can modify the ntfs permissions once that is dont it is really good ...ofcourse u also need a firewall like Tiny (what i use) it is useful and it is not that bad i had once a week of up time wiht no problem...but mnainly it is good for home use win2k is awesome for business...that si all i got to say
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Originally posted here by GreekGoddess
    Honestly....I like XP....it may not be the most secure.....but I love the way it looks. It's really not that difficult to navigate. It took me quite a bit of time to get used to it. Things are in different places, but if you ever have a problem with it, you can always switch back to the classic view, and alas...things are very similar to previous Windows versions. I think a lot of the people who dislike XP are people who were too lazy to learn the layout of it. DIFFERENT is GOOD sometimes...and ya gotta love the bubbly futuristic look....
    i could not have put it better myself tbh and anything is better than what i had before

[shudder] ME [/shudder]

I am running XP on my current computer, and I like it better than 2k. I haven't had much experience with Windows 2000 though(only used it like five times over my friend's). But WinXP is my favorite of the Windows OS's because of the nice looks and the customizability. If you boot up that StyleXP software, you can make your computer completely suit your tastes.

Re: Win2k VS XP

Originally posted here by sepulchre
    I would like to see whether people prefer XP or Win2K, in my opinion i prefer 2k, i think XP is too 'friendly'..... security through obscurity is not the way!!! XP seems to hide absolutley everything from you.... but thats just my opinion.... peace
    Every singel Win OS has security through obscurity, it has nothing to do with it's interface or user friendlyness.