Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earning antipoints

Earning antipoints

In a post before, I remember reading that when assigning antipoints, that person is actually earning them as well. Is this true? If so how does this work?

I've never heard anything like that, otherwise people would just sit there all day and give other people antipoints for the sole reason of gaining themselves. Might be a good idea to put a more in depth title on this thread because I first thought it was someone asking how to earn antiipoints. eg "Earning antipoints just for giving antipoints" etc.

pranKster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

No, not really, antionline only lets you give away a certain amount of antipoints a day. After that it stops you.

Banned
    It's not quite like that...
    You have to start off getting points before you can even give some....
    Those without points cannot give some out, they only give their approval and a grey dot...

Once you accumulate some points, you can start giving some....
    So in essence, it's kinda the reverse of what you are asking....

However it is true in a sense, if you give points, others notice and give some (if appropriate)
    Those who never give, and only recieve will get noticed and people *might* hold a grudge or something....

Yeah, I know all that, I was just asking because in a post I looked at, somebody mentioned that. I was just wondering if it was true.

AntiOnline Newbie

Well, JP initially said . . .

In JP's initial announcement of the AntiPoint system here, he included the following statement:

You also can earn AntiPoints by rating other user's posts, visiting the forums on a regular basis, and a host of other "undisclosed ways". In short, the more you contribute to other members in this community, the more AntiPoints you earn for yourself.
    (Edit: The bold in the above quote is my addition. - Airhead)

When I first registered at AntOnline a few months ago, clicking on the "Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post" on a message brought up that thread, where all newbies would read it. I don't know if that still happens, or if they are now taken to the AntiPoints section of the Site FAQ, which I believe would be preferable.

I don't know if JP modified or elaborated on his original statement later in the thread. The thread is 11 pages long, 102 posts, and I really don't have the desire to read the whole thing!

Quote:When I first registered at AntOnline a few months ago, clicking on the "Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post" on a message brought up that thread, where all newbies would read it. I don't know if that still happens, or if they are now taken to the AntiPoints section of the Site FAQ, which I believe would be preferable.

Um, what are you talking about?

AntiOnline Newbie
    khakisrule - By "Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post," I obviously mean the link one clicks to assign antipoints to any post. By "that thread," I mean the thread (post) in which JP initially announced the AntiPoint system. (Or possibly it was to a statement which included another link you had to click to get to that thread. At any rate, it was not to the antipoint section of the FAQ.) I believe that as soon as one got some greenies, the link to that thread disappeared, and you could actually assign points. Or maybe it was after one week; someone else might be able to say. Since you, khakisrule, already have greenies, you would not get the message.

So if a total newbie, someone in his/her first few days, reads this, what message do you get when you click "Assign Positive or Negative AntiPoints To This Post" beside any post in this thread? (Of course, a moderator who reads this might also be able to answer that one.)

When I signed up, I could go directly to the assign antipoints screen when I clicked Assign Positive or Negative Antipoints To This Post. :P Had to try it out. Im pretty sure it's the same screen everyone else see's, at the bottom left it has a link that says What are Antipoints? and when you click it, it brings you to that thread. After checking JPs post's in that thread the only ones he made after the first page were a notice that he was closing the thread.
    - ShadowTech - Never Fail, Never Falter, Never Fall
    \"Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est \" Knowledge is Power.
    \"Sed Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes\" Who will guard the guardians themselves?

AntiOnline Newbie
    Thanks for clarifying that, rogue_scholarX.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! So perhaps my memory failed me again! (Aren't you glad you aren't old yet?) Though I still do think I got a message at first that I couldn't assign points yet and that link.

At any rate, I personally think a link to the antipoint section of the FAQ might be better than a link to that thread. But that post does show why people are getting the idea that a person does earn points by giving antipoints, whether or not that is actually being used in the formula at this time.