Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 or ME?

Windows 98 or ME?

Hello
    In a few weeks I am going to reformat my dad's PC and reinstall Windows(I can not use linux because he only uses windows or we can not also use windows 2000 because the pc is also used for games)
    I am not sure if I should use Windows 98 Or ME
    I have heard there is a lot of Problems in windows ME, But I would rather use something more up to date
    The PC is more than Fast enotgh to use either
    Thanks for your help

Post Go for XPpro:)

If I were you I would choose win2k or XP. And it doesn't matter that you also want to play games. I also play games (I'm using winXP) and I have no problems with it. (but to be honest I don't play them much so...). But that's my advise go for 2k or XP pro. These systems are much more secure and stable then 98 or even ME.
    And if you want to install only 98 or ME I would use 98se. ME are the worst thing microsoft ever made... IMO.

Good luck with installing...
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Yeah we have winXP on the laptop, and I think it is a really good OS for games, We would need to get more memory on this pc first thoguht, because I did a winXp install on a pc at school and with only 128MB it was as slow as anything, but after memory upgrade it was fantasic. I will to persude him to get winXp and Upgrade the PC ;-)

AntiOnline Senior Member
    If its a choice between 98 and ME, I would go with 98 SE every time. ME just simply sucks. Also, 2k is great for gaming. I am running it right now for my gaming machine.

Hope this helps!

- ura
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

For a while there I was running an Apache http server on Windows ME. Let's just say, I lost a considerable amount of hair and gained a few more wrinkles in those few days...

Talking

I have very rarely found games that will not work under win2k. But if you are definitely going to choose between 98 & ME.. pick 98SE. I have had much better luck with it. I would make sure the games that you will be using will not run under 2000 first though, as it is much, much more stable than both 98 and ME.
    \"If you mess up... fess up...\" -unknown

98SE, no explaination needed.

---Aku. Soku. Zan.

win98 definitely else winXP

Between 98 and ME....

W2K!!, no problem with gaming!
    Todo lo que no me mata me hace mas fuerte...

Windows...

I would go for Windows 98 SE, i'm running it with no problems. Me is basicly 98 with more bugs.

As for XP, I tried it and have gone back to 98 because it just wasn't up to what it should be, it would crash for no reason and was buggy. All my friends/colleagues that have tried it have gone back to their old OS's within a fortnight.

A positive note about Xp, it did run -nearly- everything.