ISO Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO Question

ISO Question

This is just an inquiry.
    I don't know if I'm out of the loop on this, but if anyone has any clues on the use and technicalities behind this file type, I would be very appreciative.

ISO's. A friend emailed me an ISO... says its an EXE, but he swears its actually an ISO, and the file wont run, anyhow. (*yes, I checked for virus.)

Any info?

Vext

Knowledge is power.

ISO is like a big file that you can burn to a cd and it'll boot right... it's an ISO "image." I doubt your email had a file as big as ISOs usually are in it, so he probably sent you some sort of trojan or something. Remember, virus scanners don't catch EVERYTHING.

GreekGoddess
    An ISO is an image of a CD...used to burn onto CDRs to make bootable copies. To make a copy of it is easy (I'm assuming you already know what is on the ISO, so I'm not going to ask)

You have to have a copy of something like EasyCDCreator or Nero on your computer. Just open the file and burn it as an image. If you burn it as a file you won't be able to access the files contained on it, nor will it be a bootable CD.

If you're not sure what's on it and want to find out before burning anything, then I would recommend downloading CDMage:
    http://www.onlythebestfreeware.com/p...program_id=120

u can also just "unpack" the file by using a prog like WinISO or ISObuster.. or one of the many other proggies just like 'em
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

What kind of mail service allows the sending of 700MB attachments?
    Elen alcarin ar gwath halla ná engwar.

yea... /me wants an account there too :P lmao
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

It doenst have to 700mb something like gentoo linux is only 16mb but even that is still quite alot.
    If its not broken it can still be inproved.

lol, i sincerly doubt that they allowed him to send such a large file to you, he is obviously lying and i think that you should 'evaluate' your friendship with him as he seems to be trying to do somehting bad to ur pc...

Stop being silly.....

You could make an ISO of a CD with a text file on it which only contains the words "Bow Before The Snarfligalz".... and you can pack them to be executable....

What is the ISO meant to be of?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Umm, the last ISO that I burnt to a CD was 35 MB. There are really not that many programs out there that take up an entire CD. It is just easier and cheaper to create 1 CD with 35 MB then it would be to use 30 floppy disks...

Anyway, not all ISO's are CD's either. I have also seen ISO's of hard drives. It is technically a backup image of a disk. Be it a CD, hard drive, zip disk, whatever....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman