Banishment question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banishment question

Banishment question

On another message board, the moderator is supposed to have the power to banspecific computers .

I can understand that the mod can ban a specific IP address, but is it possible to ban a specific computer ? If so, how ??????

BTW, I am at work and didn't get a chance to run a search on this.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    well that i know of u can ban IP blocks like as in certain ips form certian ISP's.....so if the person has a dynamic IP it wont matter cuz the IP block is banned
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

It's not very secure, but it was talked about in another area of AO about a "ban cookie" that would be set on the client...of course, any time cookies are deleted it would clear the ban...but it might work for people who don't pay a lot of attention to cookies.

well adware would pick up a cookie that would send info out and in and ask to delete them
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Banned
    Hey bucket... Just a little correction: on AO, moderators have no banning-powers at all: JP is the only one able to ban IP's, IP-ranges,... hell, even entire Belgium if he wanted to...

That's a good idea, a ban cookie. But like was stated, clearing the cookies would clear the ban. I would like to find out more about this.

Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

Hi mom!
    entire Belgium.. hmm...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

hehe yea...lets ban countries :P

bucket : I dont know if this applys but a specific connection can be decided by MAC address...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

good point if you could specify a mac add you could ban a nic or modem
    Can this be done?
    tired of being called an ass