Thread: What's a good Linux-compatible hardware firewall?

What's a good Linux-compatible hardware firewall?

Does anyone know of any good Linux compatible hardware firewalls? I was looking at some units from D-Link, but I don't know if they're compatible.

The Iceman Cometh
    As far as I know, nearly all hardware firewalls (at least ones that connect to a network, not necessarily USB firewalls) are compatible with Linux. Many simply have web interfaces to change settings and have no software to install, making them compatible with nearly any operating system.

AJ

Depends how you mean compatible - I expect very few hardware firewalls are incompatible with Linux from a server or client point of view, but might require a Windows box in order to run the management application which is sometimes a fat-client windows-only one (FW1 for instance (although there might be an alternative))

Some products though I believe offer alternatives (such as web-based management) which would be manageable from a Linux workstation.

If you only need it to be compatible with Linux as a client or server, probably anything.

Well said slarty...

A hardware firewall is completely independant of any OS you are running on your servers. However, there are a few in which the management client might require windows. Checkpoint, is one of them just like he said. If you are talking about SOHO firewalls, just make sure it has a web management interface, and you are good to go.

Hardware firewalls use protocols witch are not OS specific.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Thanks, guys. Just checking to make sure.