First Language
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Language

Banned

First Language

I will be getting a Linux box soon, and I'd like to know what the first programming language I learn should be. C/C++, Perl, PHP, etc. I would welcome all suggestions.

Geez this gets asked all the freakin' time - try searching the site?

Start with a shell, then go from there - best advice if you're starting UN*X anyway, I think.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Python, http://www.python.org has some good tutorials. You could try starting with python. It's really up to you.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

They are all pretty much the same once you learn a few of them. Just pick one and learn it well and the rest is child's play...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

C++.

The Iceman Cometh
    Why wait with learning a language until you get Linux? You can find free compilers for most languages on the 'net for Windows, so you can already start now. Also, if you are new to Linux, I suggest waiting quite some time and familiarizing yourself with Linux before you start getting indepth into programming... many of my friends have tried to take on too much at once and couldn't handle it (they saw me do it, but I had more motivation and computer experience than them, so I was prepared for the work involved).

AJ

Probably should have elaborated a little more. Nowadays, most languages are very similar in syntax and style to c++. If you learn that pretty well, the other ones will come easier (perl and java come to mind at the moment) because they are very similar in style and substance (object oriented). Which leads my to what I was trying to say the first go around (and said it rather poorly), once you pick up a few languages and learn them really well, you will start to see the commonalities among them all and they will all pretty much look the same. So learn c++, learn it well, learn about object oriented programming, templates, and operator overloading, and the rest of the languages will seem easier to pickup.

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Re: First Language

c is problaby the easiest either that or terminal scripts...
    but like one of the other posters said once you learn the basics the rest is fairly easy
    -
    -
    Originally posted here by psycl0n3
    I will be getting a Linux box soon, and I'd like to know what the first programming language I learn should be. C/C++, Perl, PHP, etc. I would welcome all suggestions.
    [blur]-= Vićaje =-[/blur] \"Yeah i know you could kick my ass
    But i could hack your computer!\"

Well it depends on what you want to do. If you are wanting a web language, go PHP. PERL is nice too for web applications and is easy enough to learn. C and C++ are both excellent languages.

Now what I would suggest... Find a tutorial on begining programming, pick a simple languge just to learn style and problem solving. Good style and proper planning will save hours of debugging.

1st two chapters of C++ tutorial
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=229334

Another C++ tutorial -- contains actual e-book
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=229786

Qbasic Tutorial -- I might use Qbasic with a intro programming guide
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=220101

I didn't see an intro programming style/logic tutorial (maybe I need to write one) but there should be plenty to be found via google.

Good luck programming, and remember to document document document.
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

First, master your shell.
    Second, learn C.
    Third, learn ASM.

(My UNIX path...)