a strange dream...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a strange dream...

a strange dream...

A while back I was neck deep in learning C programming, and would spend hours every night working on various programs. It got so bad at one point that I actually had a dream of just C source code. I can't remember what exactly the code was, but it was the most bizarre dream I've ever had.

Anyones input on this is greatly appreciated, as it still puzzles and confuses me at times.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Umm, yeh, this has happened to me tons of times. It's usually just on the current project I'm working on, and when I can't figure out what the heck is going on that's making it not work, I sometimes dream of solutions and wake up immediately to go fix my problem. 9/10 times it works.

Wierd coding practices - not for the weak at heart

What really gets me is when I'm deep at work at a project in VB, I'll get stuck at a problem and decide to give it a break for a while.

I'll go out and have a smoke, come back in and stop at the john before I come back to coding. Never fails, I can see the re-written code in my head while I'm sitting there, but by the time I get back to my desk the solution escapes me.

Now THAT is wierd.

I recently drempt that I had invented a cure for death that involved cloning the body and storing peoples minds on a Maxtor HDD (Don't ask me why Maxtor - I think they were just the cheapest). It all made 100% total sense and it was absoultely garunteed to work - till I woke up.

I remember I was trying to release the whole thing under an open source licence but my business partner was trying to sell it to the highest bidder (which, if you knew my business partner, you would find hilarious).

Dreaming about code is normal - well normal for me at any rate - and certainly more normal that the dream which I outline above.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Cool, at least now I don't feel like so much of a freak. Now if only I could remember what the code was...
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Hrmm, well there was the time that I dreamed that JP and Brad came to my house and had a steak dinner with me... Now thats bad!
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Banned
    Originally posted here by jehnx
    Umm, yeh, this has happened to me tons of times. It's usually just on the current project I'm working on, and when I can't figure out what the heck is going on that's making it not work, I sometimes dream of solutions and wake up immediately to go fix my problem. 9/10 times it works.
    well they say that your dreams are tapping directly into your subcontius and that they are your clearest form of thinking...... but if i go any further i think this threadll have to be moved to the cosmos forum......

I was fixing a hideous pointer bug in some code once. It took me two days to isolate the problem. I had a dream where I was being chased by this little guy that looked like the cartoon drawing from the old 7UP adds. I think he was meant to be some sort of null pointer on steroids or something. Anyway, it had me waking up in a cold sweat.

On the plus side, it made me even more keen to find the bug. I don't think I could last more than one night being chased by the evil null pointer man. Maybe I'm just nucking futs?
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Banned
    That's some funny doo-doo, w/ yer dream smirc. . .null pointer man on steroids. . .
    Dreams have never helped me with coding anything, that's always come in a flash of inspiration, where you smack yourself on the forehead and say God D*mn and Eureka at once. . .I gotta weird dream though. . .alright, I'm like, on the moon or something, and I'm some kinda tripped out antigravity farmer, in a greenhouse the size of Delaware, I slowly float towards a long line of plants. . .tomatoes the size of a basketball. . .big struggle trying to pick one in zero-g, finally get the thing off the stem. . .take a big bite, it's really juicy and has that really ripened texture. . .I think 'needs salt'. . .and then I wake up.

d3l3t3d > thats pretty strange, like LoggOff said, dreams are your clearest form of thinking, so I wonder what brought that dream on?