Thread: Linux x USB x Wireless

Linux x USB x Wireless

Hola,

I am about to setup a Linux box for learning purposes. I will start with Mandrake 8.2 and in due time move into RedHat.

Well i have some questions:

- Does Linux Mandrake 8.2 or any Linux support USB?
    - If so, What about Wireless network card with USB connection?

I've been googling for info but nothing that i have read so far is too clear, mostly it is related to "Yes you can have USB devices, but....."

Any feedback is welcome, Thank you all in advance.
    Tudo que rela é relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

str34m3r
    I know that USB is supported in the kernel, so almost any variant of linux with a modern kernel will have USB support. There is also a fair amount of support for wireless cards, but most of them are the PCMCIA variety. I don't know for sure if the USB wireless is supported, but my best guess is that someone has a driver for them even if they're not part of the defaut Mandrake distribution. Sorry I can't help more.

The Iceman Cometh
    I know that Linksys wireless cards (both PCI and PCMCIA) have Linux drivers supplied with them, with slightly newer versions available for download. I am unsure about their USB wireless network models (I was unable to find Linux drivers on their web site), but you can call them or e-mail them to ask if it's supplied on the disk. I had the same problem with a series of gigabit ethernet cards I purchased from them a while back... they didn't have the drivers I needed on their site, but I e-mailed them and they said the drivers were on the included installation disk. I made the order, and lo-and-behold, the drivers were on the disk. They still don't have them all on the 'net though. Anyway, I'm sure if Linksys provides them, others do as well. If I were you, I'd just as soon go with a PCI or PCMCIA anyway, instead of a USB, but I don't know what your requirements are. I just don't like having to plug extra stuff into the back of my machines or into my USB hubs. I guess I'm just lazy and hate seeing the extra cables.

AJ

The issue why USB wireless is so simple as that i have it available and i do not want to purchase any hardware, i was trying to save some 35 bucks. Any how i will try with Linksys.

What about the wireless support on Linux? Add-Hoc, Access point, 811b, etc? any one can feedback on it?

Thanks str34m3r and avdven.
    Tudo que rela é relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

Computer Forensics
    linux supports it all, concerning wireless. I just spent the last day configuring linksys, cisco aironets, and orinoco wavelan cards in linux. If you need help during install, setup or configuring, come into irc.antionline.com via web or you fav irc client, and I can help you there. configuration is relatively easy.

a good site is linux-wlan.org, they have some good info and drivers for wlan-ng cards.

come visit in irc
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Just remember that the Wireless Tools for Linux (courtesy Jean_Tourrilhes @ HP) are your friend. They work quite well in Mandrake with the Orinoco card (at least that's what I've done).

Though, does anyone know of a decent AS-Client like thing for Linux?
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Computer Forensics
    the page by Jean is lovely. here is a hint for people installing wireless cards, install the pcmcia kernel, and pcmcia source.

another hint: orinoco_cs.o (orinoco driver) was developed from the prism2 chipset originally, which linksys cards just happen to use.
    sooooo bind the orinoco_cs to your linksys card and you have your driver, you don't need to mess around with extras.

draziw: AS-client ?????
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust