Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware vs. Software Firewalls

Hardware vs. Software Firewalls

I'm curious as to the advantages of any, of choosing one over the other. I'm gettin my friend's old 486(in exchange for a case of beer), so I had planned on installing OpenBSD, and using that as a firewall.

This is mainly geered as a learning experience, however I'm curious as to the effectiveness between a Software Firewall(preferably free or low cost, e.g. Zone Alarm, Tiny, etc.) to a Hardware Firewall(OpenBSD).

Comments?

I don't know much about hardware firewalls, but so far software firewalls have worked well for me.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

Well if it's a hardware firewall it will use software to run it, where software only needs but your PC to run. Software wise lots to choose from, Zone Alarm, Black Ice, ah all I can recall at the moment. Depending on the connect like ADSL, CABLE, can have like a linksys, or D-link switch with NAT that can also be used to block stuff, dial up go with a software firewall, Zone Alarm is free do a google search www.google.com. Me I like hardware/software
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Since software is easier to update/patch up I would say going with software is to your advantage.
    just another pale-faced teenager

This is again, not a question about software/hardware firewalls, this is more a question of the differences between Application Layer firewalls and Packet (or Network) Layer firewalls.

OpenBSD, while its filter (PF or IPF?) will give you the functionality of a hardware-style firewall, is still entirely software based. The differentiation one could make would be in what hardware the software that powers the firewall sits on. Instead of ROM and EEPROM, the software is stored on a standard PC hard drive.
    Chris Shepherd
    The Nelson-Shepherd cutoff: The point at which you realise someone is an idiot while trying to help them.
    \"Well as far as the spelling, I speak fluently both your native languages. Do you even can try spell mine ?\" -- Failed Insult
    Is your whole family retarded, or did they just catch it from you?

Some more information can also be found in the below threads.

Tutorials Forum - Index. Maintained by Negative.

Firewall basics - Short but valuable information.
    Basic Firewall tutorial - Lot's of links to more information and firewall vendors.
    Network Basics 1: the OSI-model - Good knowledge about Network's are good when dealing with firewalls.

And several other threads in the tutorials forum.

i personally like both, i have a p100 as my hardware (+ a cable modem + router ) all as my hardware firewalls, and norton + zonealarm as mu software firewalls, tbh i like hardware as it takes less resources thatn software......

Besides hardware (appliances) and software (on top on an existing O.S.), there is another kind of firewall: the one that boots from a CD. Nothing to install for get corrupted on the hard disk. You can find several ones: www.sentryfirewall.com, www.gibraltar.at, www.netboz.net. The last is the one I recommend.
    aluco

aluco > The link to "sentryfirewall" and "gibraltar" does not work.. Please remove the comma in the adress .