Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WD 100 gig-ATA 133 HD

WD 100 gig-ATA 133 HD

I was thinking about buying a new 100 gig hard drive, and I wanted to know if 7200 rpms is a good speed. I know the seek speed is 9ms and that is fairly standard, but I don't know how good 7200 rpms would be on a 100 gigabyte hard drive. How would that be? Is that a good speed?

Antionline Herpetologist
    If you can afford it, go for a 10,000 rpm drive. Otherwise, 7,200 rpm is the next best thing.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Yeah, but will it take long to access what I need? Will 7200 rpms be fairly fast, or will I have to wait for all my apps to load on startup and stuff? Will I have a hard time uploading big files?

Can't anybody help me?

The Iceman Cometh
    7,200 is the best you'll get at a reasonable price. If you're looking for fast seek times and transfer rates, you're going to want to look for harddrives with extra cache (such as the new Western Digital SE drives which have 8 MB of cache). You'll still have to wait, though... even with today's technology, harddrives can't achieve transfer rates or seek times anywhere near that of the RAM let alone the processor. If you want a really fast harddrive, you're going to have to wait until the new Serial ATA hard drives come out in a few years.

AJ

Yeah but is 7200rpms a good speed? Or will I be annoyed at clicking-hearing the hd start to whir-and then getting what i wanted?

A website or company did test on the 100-140GB HD awhile back using 5400 and 7200RPM. 7200 is fairly fast enough in the market today and it also depends on what brand you get. Dont wanna get generic stuff, wont last long.

The Iceman Cometh
    Hard drives will always make noise, no matter what speed you get. 7,200 will definately wind up faster than the 5,400 and will, therefore make more noise doing such. I have 7,200s in nearly all of my machines and when I first turn them on or wake them up, there are some noises (such as the winding up), but the clicking has all but disappeared from new drives, even for the 5,400 ones. The technology itself is what generates the noises you're complaining about. When the disks are at a stopped state, and data is requested from them, they must start up to the speed at which they are set to be run (i.e. 7,200 rpm). You'll never get around that. That's also why a lot of the new, high speed CD-ROM drives make a lot of noise when you first enter a CD... because the drive tries to get it spinning at it's maximum rate right away. So, all in all, the 7,200 will probably suit your needs and should be as quiet as it's going to get.

AJ

The Iceman Cometh
    Azn_Acid... do you mean 100-120? I was under the impression that current technology is keeping hard drives at a maximum of 137 GB. I may be wrong on this, though. Let me know...

AJ

NO, no! I wasn't complaining about the sound, I don't care about the sound of the hd! Hehe, I just meant will I have to wait a while to get info when I open a document? Will I have to click and then wait 30 seconds for kazaa to open? (I don't actually use kazaa)