Thread: What Is This

What Is This

First off hello all I just join today. Well let see I have this program that cleans my hard drive of old stuff the only thing is it has alot of funny look code like things that it looks up. I did the clean anyway just to see what would happen and wow was happy that is did a good job and even made my web pages load fast. But what i need to know is where can I go to get info on what the codes mean. I have looked all over Google and yahoo with no luck. Here is a list of the code if that will help. Thanks for your time in this matter.

TMP
    BAK
    OLD
    ~**
    ~*
    ---
    $$$
    $DB
    DB$
    CHK
    DMP
    GID
    GIF

Thanks

Zuriel
    [gloworange]Zuriel- This Angel Lends Us The Power To Find Balance When We Desperately Need It[/gloworange]

Banned
    TMP - Temporary Files (when programs install, miscelaneous info goes there)
    BAK - Back-up file (might want to check the lost files)
    OLD - Old file, meaning it "was" the original but something wrote to it. Usually it'll be files like autoexec.bat to autoexec.old
    $$$ - Temp database file
    $DB - Same as above
    DB$ - Same as above
    CHK - Check file (some virus checkers put info there)
    DMP - Dump files
    GIF - Animated Images (might want to do this one your self)

The others I'm not sure, and I could be off on the $$$ ($DB, DB$), CHK, and DMP file extensions...

Thanks for all the info. I would like to ask one more thing I forgot to ask. Where can I get this info? I have other files that I would like to know what they are. What are they even called? Are they codes maybe I can find them if I type in the right name as all I was doing was just typing in $$$, DB$, Etc...

Zuriel
    [gloworange]Zuriel- This Angel Lends Us The Power To Find Balance When We Desperately Need It[/gloworange]

Banned
    You can try doing a search on http://www.google.com or at http://www.microsoft.com

I know/remember these file extentions by experience. With time and computer usage, you come accross these files extentions (ie:tyger.gif) and figure out what they are for.

Another thing you could do is go into explorer, click on tools->folder options->file types (tab)

There will be a list of all associated file extentions
    (as in property of a certain program, ie: .htm .html to iexplore.exe (Internet Explore) or netscape.exe)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    for use with email.... http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xht.../mimetype.html
    a few webpage extensions... http://www.nwmissouri.edu/webpages/EXTENSIONS.HTML
    a crapload of extensions.... http://www.computeruser.com/resource...filetypes.html
    If its not on one of those lists, you can be pretty sure the file is an old file that can be deleted....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Wow Thanks for all the help. Now maybe I can dig into my computter a little more with out haveing to worrie about messing it up to bad. I hope. I cant give you guys good points yet as I just join yesterday and was reading some ware it say I need 50 to the good before I can give good points. I will have to read some more on that today to see how that works. But I do give you all a big thanks. (Big Thanks)

Zuriel

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I cant give you guys good points yet as I just join yesterday and was reading some ware it say I need 50 to the good before I can give good points. I will have to read some more on that today to see how that works.
    w00t. Either this is the guys second account, or he actually takes the time to look before he talks. I must say this is the first time in a LONG time that I have been this impressed with a newbie.....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Originally posted here by tyger_claw

CHK - Check file (some virus checkers put info there)
    These are created by Windows ScanDisk when it finds data that is not associated with a file (it can be set just to delete the data, but by default it creates these annoying things)...

They could be created by an AV suite, but I haven't seen on that does that...
    Tyger, do you know one that does?
    /me feels like he's being left out of some big secret society.*sniff*
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"