in search of a laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in search of a laptop

in search of a laptop

Well here is the deal, I usually build my own desktops so I am having trouble deciding on which namebrand laptop to pick from. If any of you would like to post your own little reviews of the laptops you have used, I would really appreciate it.
    just another pale-faced teenager

Banned
    I own a Toshiba, and it works great...
    I used it for school, work, and travel...
    Can get one for pretty penny on ebay

Well as far as name brands go, I really like the HP laptops that I have dealt with at work, compaq's weren't bad either. I would stay far far away from the sony laptops. The toshiba lightweight model wasnt bad, Acer had a better one.

If you want to stay away from the name brands, check out the laptops here

http://www.pcsforeveryone.com/notebookp3.html

I have bought several desktop(built them myself) systems from them, and I would trust them to sell a good laptop product.

The Iceman Cometh
    I've personally had some bad experiences with HP, Compaq, old Toshiba and Sony laptops (the latter snapped when a client's employee placed it poorly in his backback). I honestly recommend Dell. If you're looking for a light-weight model which can pack a lot of power, check out the Latitude X200 (only .8 inches thick), or if you're looking for a desktop replacement (and money isn't an issue) I'd recommend an Inspiron 8200. I have both (I just recently received the Lat. and am absolutely loving it) and have had no problems with either. I have also had a lot of experience with Dell laptops in the field and within the corporate world, and have heard next to no complaints about them. Just my opinion, though.

AJ

i agree with avdven. the two computer support jobs i have had both companies used dell. can't say anything too bad about them. my buddy has a sony laptop and it runs pretty horribly.
    A+, Network+ Certified.

Banned
    I have a Compaq 715US and it runs great, it's got CD-RW/DVD combo, 18.6 hard-drive, and runs at 1.4 Ghz. OS is XP and it runs great, crashed once in the last 6 months. I recommend the whole 700 series by Compaq but I really like the new ones out from Alien Ware, machines are great but $$$ is way through the roof.

I am using an Acer Travelmate and I must say, I have had 0 problems with it. The acer site has all of the drivers for every flavour of Windows (none for *nix that I seen), and it can take a good bump and still keep on ticking.
    As I lay here on my bed, stareing up at the stars, I can\'t help but wonder.... what the hell happened to my ceiling??

sw1gzilla,
    I have been checking some models in the past two weeks as i am about to replace my actual one (IBM TP390E). I had 2 Compaqs before the IBM and both were lost due to screen problems, after warranty and the cost to replace it was about 75% of the laptop cost.
    Well I have today two real options, IBM T30 with Pentium Mobile 1800mhz, light and powerfull. It can get up to 1GB RAM and HD up to 60GB. Only 32MB on video though. Bluetooth and wirelles 811b also available, combo CDRW/DVD, cost around $3,200

Also the Gateway is a good option, they have a model with the Nvidia Gforce video card (128MB). Check it out.

Any how i believe i will take the T30, i could not check Dell as the service here in Chile it's not so good for this brand.

Have in mind that it's not only the machine power but service level as well.

I hope it helps :-)
    Tudo que rela relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

Banned
    Toshiba & Dell would be my picks.

Hmm, I didnt mention dell mostly because I dislike the company so much, their laptops I am sure are ok, but I have problems as far a support go.

We mainly work with compaq mostly because for their business machines(i.e. non presario home pieces of ****) their support is second to none.

I have had problems with dell tech support, and as for toshiba, well, they sold me an ultralight notebook, with an external cdrw, with windows 2000, and no working drivers for the particular cdrw with windows 2000. that pissed me off a bit.