Dangers of Physical Access to a system

Thread: Dangers of Physical Access to a system

The Iceman Cometh

Dangers of Physical Access to a system

I realize I may get flamed for posting this, but I don't mean to post it to teach people to do harmful things to others computers, I just thought it was a good example of what can happen if you do not take steps to secure your PC (both physically and with the use of firewalls, etc. so that your machine doesn't get "owned"). Some of the tricks are actually quite amusing and don't cause any lasting effects (other than a headache for the end-user).

Working as a desktop technician in the computer industry for a few years gives you a pretty good insight about what the average user knows and doesn't know. On the other hand, you get to learn what the other technicians you work with know and don't know as well. Since the day-to-day PC fixes get rather boring and repetitive after a certain amount of time, you must do something that still makes the job fun. Where I work, we would play evil computer tricks on each other to help make everyone's day just a little brighter. Not only is it fun to watch people squirm trying to figure out what has been done to their PC, it's also a very educational process for the person that has to fix it.

I am going to list some of the tricks we have played on each other over the years. The tips and tricks listed in this article are for informational and educational purposes only. LittleWhiteDog.Com will not assume or accept any responsibility if these tips are used in an inappropriate manner.

You will notice that each tip will identify which operating systems we know for sure it will work on correctly. Some of these items may work on other OS's, but if it was not tested by us, then I'm not going to list it. A "damage/annoyance meter" will also be included with each section. I hope everyone finds this information informative and educational and if you decide to venture
    out on your own and try these tactics, please don't come crying to us.
    Read the tricks HERE .

Another possible problem is being able to grab/reset system passwords. Not gonna say how to do it here because I don't wanna feed any kiddies that may be about.

Once a hacker get physical access to a system its more or less game over.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.