copy a hard disk

Thread: copy a hard disk

copy a hard disk

Hello all,

I have been given an old NT4 server which no one know the passowrd to. I am quite happy to try and crack it but i was wondering if there is any software that would copy the hard disk to a new drive completely so i'm not working on th original. Kinda like xcopy on the amiga was, it didnt copy the files but the image of the disk.

Thanks in advance
    I have plent of thought and talent. I just don\'t give a damn

The Iceman Cometh
    What kind of hard disk is it? I know drivers like Western Digital's come with a start up disk which will copy the contents of one disk to another. Do you already have another drive in the system? You could always install another O/S to that disk/partition and copy all of the contents to that using Explorer. Otherwise, I'm sure there are programs out there, but I'm assuming that the NT4 server is NTFS? That means DOS-based programs most likely won't work, so your going to have to find a solution which will boot via a floppy that can access NTFS partitions. Good luck.

AJ

Well, you could boot up with a floppy using an OS that understands NTFS, then mount that drive and copy the data or get the pertinent files necessary to crack the administrator account. Once you get those files there are plenty of tools that would allow you to do this...

Also, I would assume you would be able to physically remove the drive from that machine and place it in another NT machine and then grab those files that way as well...Not sure, NT servers are not something I use unless forced too ...

Either way, reseting the admin password would be more reliable than trying to copy all the files...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    A ghost program may work, but I think you would have to run it off that machine. I agree with nebulus, and you should just reset the admin password.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Antionline Herpetologist
    If you still want to do it, get Linux installed on another hard disk and attach it as a master. Then just use dd to make an image of your NT drive.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

cheers guys, was trying to make a copy of the hdd as it is a work one and really dont want it to go wrong before i reset the admin password. think i might just hope for the best.
    I have plent of thought and talent. I just don\'t give a damn

You can do this with Norton Ghost. You need to make a Boot Floppy using a Norton Ghost utility. Put both hard drives in the system, one as a master, one as a slave. Note which one has the data you want to keep intact. I usually make the master the original (drive 1) and the slave the copy (drive 2). Boot the system using the Norton Boot Floppy and follow the menus. Once Ghost is through copying the image to the new drive you then shut down the system. Remove the master drive and put it in a safe place. Change the slave to a master or "standalone drive" and turn the system back on. You can then hack all you want without worrying about the original data. I use Norton Ghost all the time to make image copies of FAT and NTFS partitions. The software states that you can image Linux drives too. I have even made a CD with my drive image on it that I can restore from. I use this to test apps on, I can go back to a know state without sepnding hours reloading the OS.

Stuart

Ok, I thought you were asking either / or. If you definitely want to do the mirroring of the disk, then ghost is a very good program...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    If you would like to reset the password us the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor. Just do a search on goole it will pop up, plus our good friends the link posters will let you know how many hits, and direct you right to the file... Come on guys, I know your dying to do it...

Banned
    hy don't u try norton ghost,it work fur me