Help! Linksys router won't let me connect to ftps anymore...

Thread: Help! Linksys router won't let me connect to ftps anymore...

Banned

Help! Linksys router won't let me connect to ftps anymore...

I've been able to connect to ftps with my linksys router for the past 6 months but today all of the sudden it won't let me. I've tried to get into countless ftps today to no avail. When I try to connect the ftp laods half way then it says something about my local ip and just sits there until the server times out.

I get this message in the log then the serve times out...
    "PORT 192,168,1,100,17,85"

Please help if you can. Thanks

Banned
    anyone?

Your active FTP sessions are failing. Most often this is due to a firewall type device inbetween you and the server. Try passive mode.

Quick Tip: FTP transactions can happen two ways 1) active 2) passive.

Both active and passive FTP establish the control connection (what you type in the commands over, let GET) over port 21.

In an active FTP connection, the data is transported back to your connection over a different port, and it is the SERVER that initiates the data connection back. When you listed:
    "PORT 192,168,1,100,17,85"
    Your FTP client is essentially telling the FTP server to send the data you requested back to you @ 192.168.10.100 on port 85...hmmm....that is probably part of your problem, why are you sending data back to reserved ports... ?

That wierdness aside, active FTP sessions can cause problems with people that are behind firewalls that do not allow external traffic back in and do not have the capability to understand FTP because it is the SERVER that initiates the data connection back.

In a passive FTP connection, the data is transported back to your client via the same control port and hence causes less firewall problems since there are no server connections coming back into your network.

My suggestion is to look at why data is trying to come back to you on an illegal port...looks more to me like an FTP bounce scan...

My second suggestion is to use passive FTP...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    Thanks for the reply I got it working. I just had to bind local ports to my global ip.