todays logic problem

Thread: todays logic problem

todays logic problem

I'll try to do one every day if I can remember. The first one was pulled by my logic teacher out of a mensa book (sorry about citations souleman). A form of this one comes off of a Microsoft application (details may be different but it's the same problem). remember to keep answers hidden and I'll chime in during the day and see who's right and also I wouldn't be posting this if the most obvious answer was right.

what you have
    You have 4 soldiers that need to cross a river but there's only 1 boat and it holds 2 people.

the problem
    The soldiers can only cross the river as fast as the slowest person for example if someone who crosses in 7 minutes and someone who crosses in 3 minutes goes it takes 7 minutes. And one person needs to bring the boat back so in the previous senario if those two went over and the three minute guy came back it would be a grand total of 10 minutes 7 there 3 back. What's the shortest amount of time the soldiers can cross the river.

who can do what
    the soldiers can cross in 1 minute 10 minutes 5 minutes and 2 minutes.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

i had to something like this in my maths olympiad thingy --- that thing was soo fookin hard:/

i wont post the answe :

The Iceman Cometh
    I think I figured it out... This may be way off, but I think it works...

1 & 2 cross = 2
    1 returns = 2 + 1 = 3
    5 & 10 cross = 3 + 10 = 13
    2 returns = 13 + 2 = 15
    1 & 2 cross = 15 + 2 = 17

Total = 17 minutes

Explanation (in English): The first to cross are the two fastest soldiers, crossing the river in 2 min. Then the fastest solder returns (+1=3). Next, the two slowest soldiers cross (+10=13). The fastest soldier on that shore returns with the boat (+2=15). Finally, the two fastest soldiers go to the shore where the others are waiting (+2=17). Therefore, the shortest amount of time for the four soldiers to cross is 17 minutes.

AJ

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Yup, 17 mins. I did this problem in the past here at AO, but it involved the beatles late to a concert and they had to cross a bridge that only 2 at a time could go across and it was night and they had to pass a torch back and forth blah blah blah.. Same thing.. eww, talk about a run-on sentence

you peeps got it right I'll try to get something harder for tommorrow
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Talking Re: todays logic problem

Hmm... I like these sorts of things. I know there has to be a trick to this... so I will
    do my best to figure it out.

1 and 2 cross to get 2
    1 returns to get 3
    5 and 10 cross to get 13
    2 returns to get 15
    1 and 2 cross to get 17.

1, 2 = 2
    1 = 3
    5,10 = 13
    2 = 15
    1,2 = 17

The first time I tried I got 22, then 19, then 17.