Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniffing and IP/TCP hijacking

Question Sniffing and IP/TCP hijacking

Hello fellow members,

I have a question with regard to online privacy. Is it possible that a hacker can actually forge a browsing record of my machine IP address. Is this sort of thing is possible to be done, and is it done by sniffing and TCP hijacking?

Thank you for your help

I am not exactly sure what you mean by forge a browsing record, but yes, it is possible for someone to change (spoof) his or her identity a number of different ways. This is one technique used to bypass firewall filters, but spoofing can be used for many things.

I’m also a little lost on this one. Whose browsing record are we talking about? Your ips’s? Some web site?
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Originally posted here by iNViCTuS
    I am not exactly sure what you mean by forge a browsing record, but yes, it is possible for someone to change (spoof) his or her identity a number of different ways. This is one technique used to bypass firewall filters, but spoofing can be used for many things.
    Hi iNViCTuS,

Sorry, i am going to be more clear. What i meant is this:

Can a hacker porduce a fake browsing history of the victim's machine, with the victim's IP address and information on it?

So if this can be done by spoofing, how can i prevent it from happening? Is there a way?

Thank you very much for your help.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    You mean can he make your machine look like you were browsing at sites that you were not?

Only if he has access to your box. Although through spoofing, he can make other machines think that your machine accessed them.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

The Iceman Cometh
    FP-WWIII > I have a question. You posted another question (yesterday?) which also alluded to you wanting to keep people out of your box, etc. Do you think you might just be being a little paranoid? I you have a good firewall and a virus scanner, you should be fine. Unless you have some very big enemies, I don't think that you need to worry about everything you keep asking about. Just an observation. I may be wrong on this, but, in my opinion, being overly paranoid is only going to stress you out. It's not worth it.

AJ

Ok thanks for your help

So if a hacker was able to forge a victim's browsing history, that means he has some kind of access to their machine and their internet connection

And spoofing only means that he would make remote machines think i am accessing them. So that would rule out a hacker using spoofing to fake a victim's browsing history.

One more question when you say he has access to my machine, does that mean physical access, or does that mean that he probably was able to install some sort of trojan or application to do the job?

Access can mean either physical or remote.

Spoofing can be done to make people think that you are connecting to them; however, it is pretty difficult to accomplish and would require that the mischevious person be able to predict the sequence numbers in the connection (possible at times) and would require that your machine not be able to hear the communication (otherwise your machine would send a RST). IF the above conditions were met, then it is possible that the connection could successfully be blindly spoofed.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

The Iceman Cometh
    I think he means (most likely) physical access, though if he's installed a backdoor which allows him to "own" your machine, he could theoretically fake a browser history. If you are having problems with your browser history, though, I think it's most likely someone else who has physical access to the machine (such as a friend or family member). In that case, it's most likely not fake... they simply visited the sites, causing them to show up in the history. Just a thought.

AJ

Originally posted here by avdven
    FP-WWIII > I have a question. You posted another question (yesterday?) which also alluded to you wanting to keep people out of your box, etc. Do you think you might just be being a little paranoid? I you have a good firewall and a virus scanner, you should be fine. Unless you have some very big enemies, I don't think that you need to worry about everything you keep asking about. Just an observation. I may be wrong on this, but, in my opinion, being overly paranoid is only going to stress you out. It's not worth it.

AJ
    Hello avdven,

Thank you for your comment and observation. I do agree with you "being overly paranoid is only going to stress you out". I do believe that, and i have been thinking that all my past until just recently.

The past year though, i came to realize that what i am facing is actually real. I under estimated my enemy for a long time, and it seems like i am paying the price for that. I assure you i am not paranoid, i had a long time to evaluate my situation.

Thank you for your help.