partition problems

Thread: partition problems

partition problems

I just deleted all the partitions on my hard drive, i created a boot disk first. After deleting the primary partition I then added a new primary partition with the size of my choice. Then I atempted to format the new partition but did not have format.com on floppy, so I found a old hard drive with format, i installed the HD as a slave then used format to format the newly created partition, but now I cannot launch the setup for windows any help or sugestions? 10q in advance.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

The Iceman Cometh
    What does it tell you when you try to install Windows? And what version of Windows are you trying to install? After creating the new primary partition, did you restart before formatting?

AJ

As far as i understand Win9x and ME will not recognize partition sizes over 2048MB. As Avdven said, need to know the error message and the win version you want to install.
    Tudo que rela relativo!!!
    www.ebittner.net with you SOON

lol

As far as i understand Win9x and ME will not recognize partition sizes over 2048MB
    Only if you use FAT16 witch went away with windows 95

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    More info is needed. Namely, which OS are you tring to load. What error was given? The boot disc should of had format on it. In the famous words of johhny 5, Need input.

And no, win98/ME was designed for large capacity drives.

The Iceman Cometh
    Kitain > the original Win95 (pre OSR2) couldn't handle FAT32, so it couldn't access drives larger than 2 GB.

AJ

If you just need a good boot disk with all the tools you could possibly need, try the God Disk 5.0 (don't confuse it with the CDROM God Boot Disk):

http://jumpstationz.com/download.htm
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

I am sorry for not suplying much information, I was at a local library and we are not alowed to use those particular computers for more then 15 minutes and my time was ending.

There was no error message unfortunately, it loaded all the tools from the CD-ROM thenonce I got to the A:\ prompt and typed setup it displayed the message that it was going to do a routine check on my system (not exact words) then scandisk apeared for a fraction of a second, disapeared then i was back at the a: prompt. I managed to fix the problem just 1 hour ago. I fixed it by formateing it again, then atempting to boot the CD install from the floppy, and with pure luck it worked. Last night i had such a headache with partitions i drempt partitions in my sleep. lol.

Thank you all for trying to help. The problems started when I created the new partition and discovered my floppy was not equiped with format, fortunately I remembered a HD i had laying around just hapened to have format on it. but the first time i formated it, the setup would not initialize no matter how many times i tryed, it wasnt till i deleted the partition and recreated then formated it again, then the setup by chance started. What I origionaly was trying to do was install the latest version of redhat from my hard drive since my cd was a older version. Because i did not have enough space on my HD to download redhat I wanted to make my primary partition bigger. I thought fips would work but when it said what partition do you want to split i rebooted because I did not want to split it. So i decided to use fdisk to delete the partition and create a new one forgetting that i did not have format on floppy. So it turns out my second HD saved the day. I am now working on getting a bunch of backup floppys with format, fdisk, fips and other utilities, incase something derastic hapens
    again.

Linux sure teaches you alot about hardware.
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

The Iceman Cometh
    Next time, try booting for the CD. If you boot to DOS from the CD, you should be able to access the format command. :-)

AJ

I am gathering as much information as I can now, so that I will not have that problem again, unfortunately when I modifyed my BIOS to check the CD-ROM first, it failed to boot the install. 10X once again for all your help.