Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting up dial-up (fairly simple)

Originally posted here by Palemoon
    ...all syatems now filter users and activities like port scans.....
    Are port scans illegial or something? Or is it just that some ISP's don't like you doin that through their network?

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

I think that broadband services that don't offer a shell account do it for the same reasons as some Dial-up ISP's don't offer shell accounts. They don't really want their customers fooling around with it. Sought of along the lines of leaving a loaded gun around the house I guess. Shame really.

Actually legacy, I was just using OC3 as an exmaple. I know that cable internet providers use more than 45 megs.
    Well I work for a company that provides dial up and cable internet services, they run both off of the same back bone and servers
    Well, that tech humour post today confirmed it for me. I did some research on this a while back when I first wrote this tutorial, and that just isn't true. Most dial-up ISPs are connected by T1 or something a little higher. Cable ISPs have much more bandwidth at their disposal. Besides that tech humour post, there was one a while back from a person running an ISP called r.i.p which was also using T1 fiber optic. At the time of this post, I took it, now I am wondering do you have any proof to back up your post? BTW thanks for bringing this up yanksfan, I had decided to post this and bring this tutorial up, and I went through 11 pages of posts looking for it, and then I found it on the front page, lol, thanks.

khakisrule'

Most dial-up ISPs are connected by T1 or something a little higher. Cable ISPs have much more bandwidth at their disposal. Besides that tech humour post, there was one a while back from a person running an ISP called r.i.p which was also using T1 fiber optic.
    I am the Regional director for RIP Internet, I posted the tech humor post....I am still laughing at that.

There are 2 other ISPs in my area that are just using analog T1s one of whom is linking other towns by wireless 802.11b. 2 analog T1s spread out among four towns, his customers are complaining loudly about slow speeds, duh!.

1 T1 is good enough to allow 24 56k modems 56k of band width, I have 2 fiber T1s ( digital vs analog ) on 48 digital modems, 96 more ready to go when we need them. Our customers have never seen dial-up speeds like we can offer.

This other ISP has 4 towns on his 48 antique analog modem banks ( a box with 48 pc modem cards plugged in ) and sharing his meager bandwidth 24 more analog modems in each of the four other towns.

Also we had 2 DCS ( again digital ) circuits installed supplying 48 incoming lines for our subscribers.

I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Originally posted here by Fakeboy
    Man, these kiddies have it easy now.. I'm sure a bunch of you remember BBS.... Now were going to have kiddies saying "What is Dial Up"
    I remember my old BBS crawling days, playing LORD getting my tradewars on and when there were like 10 people logged on playing a wicked fast 14.4 game of doom. Ahh there's some nestalgia for me.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Sure, cable providers have larger pipes, they also share it with more end users. That brings the amount you get down as more users are online. The answer here I think is that the larger the pipe, the faster the upload/download. If you are sending ping requests, the needed bw is small per terminal. That is why ddos uses many hundreds of terminals to send small pings. Like a rain shower flooding the Miss. River.
    Help America be FREE - use Open-Source
    even if you view it through Windows

Man, these kiddies have it easy now.. I'm sure a bunch of you remember BBS.... Now were going to have kiddies saying "What is Dial Up"
    that's almost true, unless of course they live in the middle of nowhere and the only thing they can have is...*gulp*dialup....i remember way back when(for me) i could dial in with my amazing 14.4 and play prodigy...of course i was only 4 so i wasnt very good but, hey, we all gotta start somewhere just wish i could be 10 yrs older, then i would have got to really experience the beginning of the mainstream computer age...blame it on dell, thats why the 'net is polluted with lamers and little kids/parents that don't know what they are doing and just take up bandwidth from others that need it...
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

Originally posted here by aeallison
    This other ISP has 4 towns on his 48 antique analog modem banks ( a box with 48 pc modem cards plugged in )
    Lol, I would hate to be one of his customers! With analogue modems, what's the most a user could possibly get? Probally around 3600 Kbps... Talk about "Mom and Pop" ISP!

Hey, maybe I'll install a few modems in my home PC, and charge people to dial in and share my cable modem!

--Sudo

Sudo,

Lol, I would hate to be one of his customers! With analogue modems, what's the most a user could possibly get? Probally around 3600 Kbps... Talk about "Mom and Pop" ISP!

Hey, maybe I'll install a few modems in my home PC, and charge people to dial in and share my cable modem!

--Sudo

Great idea, do you really think you could pull it off...lol
    ( It might pay the cable bill )

zepherin,

I remember my old BBS crawling days, playing LORD getting my tradewars on and when there were like 10 people logged on playing a wicked fast 14.4 game of doom. Ahh there's some nestalgia for me.

Do you remember the "Not-Yet-Named BBS" or "The Technical Realm BBS" or maybe "Northstar BBS"...."The Game Land of Devistation" I actually bought a lifetime subscription to NYNBBS and the game LOD. I built the Tech Realm BBS with a couple 286s with 4mb ram and two 40mb hard drives ( could not even phathom the tought of a whole Gigabyte ) in Missouri, USA, and the Northstar BBS was built by my partner in Fremont California, USA. We had a FIDO mail setup (like todays e-mail) between our systems that would call one another and transfer the mail on a schedule. We paid the long distance bill by offering subscriptions to our mail system. Cool huh? You might say that we are a couple of the original pioneers who wove the first few strands of the internet.

Sheesh! I had forgotten all that stuff....writing batch files, creating little basic proggies to parse file folders....excuse me....directories.

60 if x=6 then goto 100
    70 if x=7 then goto 90
    80 else if x<2 then end
    90 print, "This is my computer";goto 100
    100 end

eee-gadz I am sinking into the past, my hair is getting longer , (and darker), wow black light posters and strobelights.....sinking....oh no! my computer is a Radio Shack Color Computer, I belong to a club called the coco-nuts.....arrgghh!!

hehehehe
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Old Fart
    Another good tutorial, khakisrule. FYI, setup in XP for a dial-up connection did not change much at all from previous versions.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...