Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transfer files from NTFS to fat32...

transfer files from NTFS to fat32...

hopefully someone can help me out with this one: how would I transfer files from an NTFS partition to a fat32 partition? by "transfering" I mean having two different partitions (NTFS and fat32) and transfer data from one to the other; not converting NTFS into fat32. thanks for your help.

-Nitro-

The Iceman Cometh
    Do you already have an O/S installed? If so, just drag and drop. If not, I think you're kinda SOL until you install an O/S which can read NTFS partitions. Once the files are dragged onto the FAT32 partition, they will automatically be converted to FAT32.

AJ

more info...

I should have probably said that I only have access to DOS, and I can read the NTFS partition...see, the problem was my win xp OS won't boot (I think the c: drive isn't mounted) cuz I was messing with redhat and accidentally screwed up the boot sector. my current OS is win xp, but I only can boot to dos with a utilities boot disk I downloaded from TechW0rm.

-Nitro-

EDIT: I used the ntfsdos command (from the boot disk) and I can see all the contents of my c: drive...I need a way to get those files to a different partition (I could also add a new OS; somethin like win 98 just to hold the files).

The Iceman Cometh
    What sort of hard drive do you have? Is your other drive empty? I know Western Digital has a utility which will copy the contents of one drive to another. You can create an image with Ghost... then when you install an OS, you can use Ghost Explorer to extract the files... That is, if you have Ghost. That's all I can really offer... Otherwise you'll have to search Google to find something which will do the trick. Good luck!

AJ

Check out the Linux-NTFS Project and LOAF (Linux On A Floppy).

I think that you probably quite easy can create a linux-boot disk with ntfs and fat32 support (read and write), this should hopefully solve your problem.

~micael

You said you were messing with redhat. Can you still boot linux? I hope you can, cause a little bit of reading and then a bit of adventure with config files can save you lots of trouble. If you cannot still boot linux, consider reinstalling it.

once you have linux available on the machine booting into windows using lilo or grub only requires an adventurous spirit and a bit of research(assuming that all you have messed up is your MBR).

if using lilo, you can probably get info on setting it up to boot windows by following the instructions/links here http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/LILO.html

If you are using grub.. this might help you http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/kohli.html
    or there should be lots of other resources available on the web about both boot loaders.

actually...

I can't boot linux (I deleted and formatted it's partition in hopes of salvaging my windows files)...see, I have like 150 mp3's on there, security docs, code, you get the idea. however, once I salvage these files, I'm making linux my primary (#1) partition, and windows xp my secondary-primary partition (#2) so I can boot with lilo (because lilo has to be used below cylinders 1023, correct?).

-Nitro-

ahh...

After you installed Linux and chose to install Lilo to the MBR, Lilo rewrote NT's boot loader. Next time you boot your machine, you won't be able to boot NT. But, that is no problem. You should edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add a new entry for NT. Next time you re-boot your system, there will be the new added NT entry under Lilo menu.
    Thanks to IchNiSan for that link...I think that is my problem right there.

-Nitro-

Re: actually...

Originally posted here by Nitro
    I can't boot linux (I deleted and formatted it's partition in hopes of salvaging my windows files)... -Nitro-
    Why not make an new install of WinXP ("upgrade the old system") ? It would solve your problem and at the same time probably be the fastest and most secure way for you to go .

I don't exactly "own" windows xp (it never came with my computer, just preloaded)...but I can get a disk that returns win xp back to its "factory" condition (just like it came out of the box) for 10 bucks from compaq.

and besides, now that I realized how to change entries in /etc/lilo.conf, I'm sure I can get win xp to boot again.

-Nitro-