installing linux, part two

Thread: installing linux, part two

Arrow installing linux, part two

ok, I've got my server box in the mail, I made a boot disk, and I'm doing an ftp install. (BTW the linux distribution I'm using is Trusti Secure Linux, http://trustix.net). I got up to the part where I make the partitions for linux. On this screen, it says that both my hard drives are completely full (this comp. is used, but they said they formatted the drives). But when I go to DOS prompt, it says I have 4 billion bytes free.

So, I can't add the partitions. Also, on that screen, (from what I make of it), it says there's a Win95 partition, and on the startup screen it says "Starting Windows 95...", but then goes to DOS.

Should I format the drives? What is wrong here?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

If you do not need to save an existing OS on your drive,
    You should tell the installation program to delete
    all existing partitions on the drive, and to create
    the necessary partitions for linux. ( a swap partition,
    and at least one linux partition)
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Or you could use a point and click program such as partition magic, and create the linux partition through windows. See if you can install it then...you should be able to.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Banned
    When I was first introducing one of my close friends to the wonderful world of Linux, he went out and bought the Red Hat 6.0 Deluxe package, before I could teach him about the varieties. However, the point of the story is.... On the Red Hat 6.0 Deluxe CD a copy of Disk Druid in available, that was the first time I used it, and I have since then used it for every linux installation I have been involved with. Its just a fdisk type program... So what your going to need to do is FDISK the system, and create your partitions or use Disk Druid to create your partitions.

rcgreen, if I delete the existing partitions, will that also delete the windows o/s itself, and leave me a clean hdd?

-The Sawshank Redemption

If you delete all the partition and then install linux on it then yes windows will be gone. If you want windows, for dual boot or something, then use something like partition magic to create an empty partition that you can re-arrange in the linux install. That way when lilo installs you should have the option of booting to either OS.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

thanks everyone, I got through all those confusing parts, now it's downloading linux

-The Sawshank Redemption

wait, one more question: how do I mount a floppy to read from it? I know I'm supposed to use the "mount" command, but what do I type after that?

-The Sawshank Redemption

normally if it's in your fstab or mtab file then it should work with just "mount /dev/fd0" and that should put it in one of the directories under /mnt, usually /mnt/floppy not 100% sure though
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

If you do not need to save an existing OS on your drive,
    You should tell the installation program to delete
    all existing partitions on the drive, and to create
    the necessary partitions for linux. ( a swap partition,
    and at least one linux partition)
    Just adding to what rcgreen already said: You said that this install is for a server. It's a good idea to use a few separate partitions for your install. This helps guard against your box going down if some process runs wild and starts filling up your hard drive with data. If this happens and your root partition fills up, your box will die a horrible death. You also might want to consider giving it some extra swap space too .
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.