Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What virii is this..

What virii is this..

I may be lazy and given up 2 soon but I Have checked my fav anti viri sites. but have come up bare..
    Clients computer.. won't let me take HDD out.. or puter off site..

OS.. win XP home

prob:
    1.. Task manager either won't run, or opens then closes almost imediatly.. can get it to run in safe mode?
    2.. Norton AV .. also either won't open, or closes after attempting to re-enable active scan.. yep she's a bin dis-abled.. when attempting to run in safemode, I get script errors..
    3.. Have run Ad-aware (35 items Bonzi Buddy), The Cleaner, these loaded ok.. tried loading PC-Cillin.. no go.. PAnda.. no go..
    4.. disabled all startup proggies ... problem still there, and checked services, nothing ?..unusual..?
    5.. tried Hybris/Badtrans/Klez removals all neg..
    6.. currently checking into registry keys.. that will cause taskman probs..

normally at this point, I scann the HDD in a test system to determine if any funny files.. but as stated above.. cant..

a direction is what i need .. a accurate answer is not expected..
    i may even have missed a AV bull some where..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hmm maybe a strange advice.. But have you tried to uninstall all AV progs and other progs who can cause this to happen, what programs do you have running (try to disable all of them, one at a time) ?

Try a go with www.kaspersky.com or www.kaspersky.ru (kaspersky.com was down earlier today).

I have had a similiar problem with Norton AV and I solved it with uninstall it and then clean all references in the registry manually.. Then when I reinstalled Norton everything worked as earlier (OS Win XP pro).

This problem can be a conflict or replaced .dll somewere in your system.. Try to back a few configurations..

So your trying to get rid of the virus? Or just trying to find out what it is? Or both?
    See if system restore works. Or have you tried reinstallling Norton AV? I think i was having problems like that before i my xp. All i done was create a new user, delete the original user, and all was fine.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

i've flipped through a bunch and none seem to meet you description.

i think we need more info:
    did you open an attachment?
    what was the attachment named?
    did you open an e-mail?
    did you go to a web site you normally don't go to?
    are there any error messages?
    do you have firewall protection?

here is a link to most virus images. flip through and see if any of these meet your criteria.
    http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/im...img/index.html

it could be your computer is f@$%ed up and not a virus at all.
    what were you doing when this started to happen?
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

morfius, I prefer to Identify if I can then remove.. And yes I tried to uninstall and reinstall NAV.. no go .. won't let me reinstall.. same as other's .. Tried System restore.. went back a week.. no change.. had no restore points b4 this..

micael , Must admitt I didn't clean the registry after uninstalling NAV.. damd.. and when I go back to the site I will try another AV.. like kaspersky..

better.. take my moded lappy.. IDE cable out its bum, and power lead.. and run my own scann on it.. argh.. lappy only 98.. not nt.. .. never tried the ntfs/dos prog under 98.. or with a virii scan of a NTFS drive..

oh thanks for the advice.. I'll keep reading in the mean time..

Cheers

qwerty_smith, not my puter, and have considered a software F-Up.. just the number of files adaware removed gave me goose bumps.. the fact she was running Incredimail (disabled not uninstalled for now).. also made me shudder..
    Icouldn't get an Idea as to when the AV Icon dissappeared from the Task bar.. but at about a week old, I cant resort to brute force and reimage the drive.. Ruddy HP didn't supply a restore partition with the HDD nor are they supplying Image CD's hows that for crap service..

cheers und3rtak3r
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

GreekGoddess
    You might try:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    It's an online scanner...don't know if this will help though

Hmm, I seem to remember it used to be possible to build a 'clean disk' , essentially a bootable floppy with AV software installed. Once you had it ready, you turned on the right protection, then booted and cleaned your system; however, I just went to look at Norton to mention how to do it and don't see anything like this (I do seem to remember that it might have been an option when you first installed)... It might have been mcafee that did this, but I know someone did...

You might want to give this a shout, it can usually bypass alot of the stealthier virii...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Originally by nebulus200
    Hmm, I seem to remember it used to be possible to build a 'clean disk' , essentially a bootable floppy with AV software installed.
    Some AV vendors cd's are bootable.. Guess both Norton and McAfee have the original cd's bootable, but Im not 100% sure.

Originally by GreekGoddess
    You might try:
    It's an online scanner...don't know if this will help though
    It's a good advice to use a online scanner (if connected to the internet). Another good online-scanner is Pandasoftwares Active-Scan.

Originally by Und3ertak3r
    micael , Must admitt I didn't clean the registry after uninstalling NAV.. damd.. and when I go back to the site I will try another AV.. like kaspersky..
    Kaspersky is a good scanner and not many viruses (none today I do know about) do disable their av-scanner.

A last resort can be to reinstall the system (upgrade) and see if the problem disapears. Remeber this should only be done if you not finds a known virus and also the last thing to do before a complete new installation.

My last few cent's down the drain .

I wish you good luck Und3ertak3r, I do know how "painful" it can be to restore a "broken" PC.

i have heard the best thing to do is disable system restore, as i with xp have experienced the blue screen of death from a virus activated by iFRAME in the email body. my mcafee 6.x caught a copy of the virus in system restore and prompted me to disable it. i did so, but the sytem was still running unstable so i ended up reinstalling xp after burning my documents and other files to disk. hope this helps.

The Iceman Cometh
    Honestly, after reading your posts as well as some of the responses, I'm pretty much convinced it's not a virus. You said that you "shuddered" at the thought of the number of files which Ad-aware found, but note that those aren't viruses, they're spyware... two completely different entities. Related to that Bonzai Buddy is installed with many of today's P2P programs, and it's not harmful, just sends back statistics to the server (which isn't that good either, but it won't cause problems on your computer).

As for how I think you should fix this? I would have to agree with morfius and try the System Restore feature of XP. Just figure out approx. when the problem started and restore to a day or two before then. The problem clearly sounds like a Windows glitch rather than a virus. If the Sys Restore doesn't work, you can always reinstall XP over itself and that should correct any registry/system errors you're having. Good luck!

AJ