Thread: OpenBSD 5 year record...

Unhappy OpenBSD 5 year record...

Well, OpenBSD's 5 year record ( "Five years without a remote hole in the default install!" ) is no more, it was broken with the openssh vulnerability....

OpenBSD's website now reads: "One remote hole in the default install, in nearly 6 years!"
    which is still pretty damn good imho...

Ammo

Wow, that's pretty amazing.
    I wonder what Microsoft's track record is...
    http://www.insecure.org/sploits_microshit.html

lol yeah and thouse are only the exploits form 96-98
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Re: OpenBSD 5 year record...

Originally posted here by ammo
    Well, OpenBSD's 5 year record ( "Five years without a remote hole in the default install!" ) is no more, it was broken with the openssh vulnerability....

OpenBSD's website now reads: "One remote hole in the default install, in nearly 6 years!"
    which is still pretty damn good imho...

Ammo

I hope you don't live too close to Theo de Raad because if he reads this he'll go berserk

Re: Re: OpenBSD 5 year record...

Originally posted here by Leviatan
    I hope you don't live too close to Theo de Raad because if he reads this he'll go berserk
    I'm sure he (Theo) was thinking long and hard about how to write that before it hit the OpenBSD site, anyway. Funny, I seem to remember it being recently bumped from four to five years. Now it says "almost six." Hmmmm....

BTW, it's "de Raadt" and he lives in Calgary, I believe - though problem an honest typo.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

Yeah I notice the subtle change from 5 to "almost 6" too
    Still, 1 in (lets say) 5 years, this is quite amazing..

PR wise, it just sucks that everything keeps happening this week... At the begining of last year, errata for obsd3.1 had 4 patches: 2 for ssh, one for sudo, one for kernel..
    Now we're up to 8... Oh well...

Ammo

PS: Theo's indeed living in Calgary
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Funny... I seem to remember that there was a previous openssh vulnerability that also would have ruined that record (though I think at the time it switched from "no remote compromises in three years" to something like "no remote root exploits in almost four years"). LOL
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"