Thread: system calls

Question system calls

Can anyone tell me how to see which system calls were executed in the program?

What program? What OS? Your question is a little generic there...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Sparc solaris 2.7
    I am trying to analyze a buffer overflow exploit. One of my tasks is to generate a list of system calls that a normal program generated and a list of system calls that the exploit generated. The problem is that i have no clue how to find out which system calls were executed and in which order.

truss <process id> or
    truss <path to execute>

Verrrrrry helpful ....

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)