Thread: The Watchman

Banned

Thumbs down The Watchman

I finally got some time to read the book The Watchman: The Twisted Life and Crimes of Serial Hacker Kevin Poulsen and I've got to say that I was dissappointed. I expected a good read from Littman but sadly got a story about a lame script kiddie that stalked celebrities and physically broke into Pacific Bell buildings and stole computer equipment. Littman protrays Poulsen as a hacker when in fact he is a cracker, breaking into phone companies databases and rigging radio contests. The story is exciting at times but still, I don't recommend it.

My Rating (1-10): 4

The Watchman: The Twisted Life and Crimes of Serial Hacker Kevin Poulsen
    By: Jonathan Littman and Roger Donald
    Publisher: Little Brown & Company
    ISBN: 0316528579

For more information: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...roduct-details

I thought it was pretty good. I like the Hacker Crackdown better though.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Littman protrays Poulsen as a hacker when in fact he is a cracker
    Thats cause Littman has to deal with modern day media, and has to use the current terms of this day and age. A book about a true "hacker" would probably be increadibly boring.

Poulsen was actually more of a phreak then anything else, but thats beside the point. Now he is a cybercrime reporter and writer for securityfocus...
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Banned
    Originally posted here by souleman

Thats cause Littman has to deal with modern day media, and has to use the current terms of this day and age. A book about a true "hacker" would probably be increadibly boring.
    It's sad how modern media confuses the terms but back to the point...

I am thinking about reading the book The Cyberthief and the Samurai, it's the story of Tsutomu Shimomura and how he tracked Kevin Mitnick down. That would qualify as a "true hacker" story wouldn't it? Once I get some time, I'll let you guys know what I think of it.