3 logic problems for the price of one
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 logic problems for the price of one

3 logic problems for the price of one

problem 1
    A version of this I saw on the labrinth except this one is a lot more complicated (I think I might have seen it on a website while I was transversing or something can't remember where tho).

What you got:
    3 men 1 who tells the truth 1 who lies and one randomly says yes and no.

The problem:
    1 of the men is holding a key and you only get to ask the men three questions.

problem 2
    This one's an easy one with many solutions that we did in logic class

What you got:
    A 3 liter jug a 5 liter jug, an infinate amount of water, and a big tub (infinately large)

The problem:
    you need to fill the big tub with 9 liters of water

problem 3
    This one is a math problem I pulled from a website I'll cite it when everything is done:

What you got: the numbers 3 3 7 7

The problem: you need to get 24 using only addition, multiplication, division and subtraction. everything is in base 10 and no decimal's where used and you need to use all 4 numbers only once.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

I love those kind of problems. Post more please or email them to me. Thank you.
    bob

Banned

Wink Easy...

The first one: Just ask each one "Who has the key?"

Second one: Fill the 5 litre jug, pour it into the 3, and the overfill goes into the tub
    Repeat once.
    Fill and pour the 5 litre jug into the tub

The last one might take more than 5 seconds...

Must we use all 4 digits?

Because 3*7+3 = 24

Problem 1:
    the guy who tells the truth and the guy who lies will always answer predictably so when you find the only one where they say yes/no to, the one random guy will simply say yes/no and if he changes his answer then you know he's the random guy...

Problem 2:
    I think you messed up the final size, because getting 9 liters with a 3 liter jug is not hard.. just fill it up 3 times... But if you wanted to do it the hard way, just use the overflow from the 5 to the 3 in order to get 2 liters and then do the math from there.

Problem 3:
    hmmm not entirely sure
    (3 * 7) + 3 but then there's a 7 left over....
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

your missing the line where it says you need to use "all 4 numbers once." And you need to get a key I thought that needing to get the key was implyed
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

The Iceman Cometh
    Problem 1:

<still working on it>

Problem 2:

Option 1: Fill the three liter jug three times, emptying it each time into the tub.

Option 2: Fill the 5 liter jug and pour it into the 3 liter job, allowing the remaining two liters to overflow into the tub. Do this again, so that you have a total of 4 liters in the tub. Finally, fill the 5 liter container and poor the whole thing into the tub.

Problem 3:

7*(3+3/7) = 24

way to go avdven
    I messed up on the second one it's supposed to be 3, 7 and 8 but I'm tired and messed up oh well.

The Iceman Cometh
    Zepherin: I am unable to find a solution for the first problem. I had it figured out (I figured out who had the key), but in order to actually get the key, it would require a 4th question (or at least a command telling the person with the key to give it to you). I can also figure out who is who (which is the truth teller, which is the liar, and which is the one who answer ambiguously), but, once again, once I have information, getting the key would require another question. Any hints?

AJ

77 - 3 / 6 =24.66666666666666666

but we're not using decimals so 77 - 3 / 6 =24

advens answer looks much more correct (and i thought i tried that!?!)

3 gal jug 3 times

can't get the key yet!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

The Iceman Cometh

Revised solution 2

Originally posted here by zepherin
    I messed up on the second one it's supposed to be 3, 7 and 8 but I'm tired and messed up oh well. [/B]
    Solution:

Fill 7 liter jug and pour into 3 liter jug, allowing the remaining 4 liters to flow into the tub. Repeat to add another 4 liters, and you have a total of 8 liters.

AJ