Thread: search-explorer

search-explorer

couple of minutes ago i Search-Explorer installed itself on my system. i have uninstalled it, but i am afraid it might have left some spyware or .reg entries on my system. i just wanted to know if search-explorer which installs itself and addes itself to the IE toolbars is a spyware.

thank you in advance.

# negative_zero

The Iceman Cometh
    Use Ad-aware (www.ad-aware.com) to find out.

AJ

Banned
    Ad-Ware does not detect Search Explorer, It is not spyware... Its supposedly just a helpful tool but then again, so was B3D

The Iceman Cometh
    I did some research about the Search Explorer (considering I had never used it) and didn't find much in the way of reporting usage statistics or anything like that. I tried using it with XP (with my firewall blocking everything except for IE) and it did not register as a new program, so I am assuming that it simply sends the results through IE to the site you are searching. I don't know if that helps at all...

AJ

Maybe you should try using a packet sniffer to see if and what it sends out. Or maybe you should just delete all the files it installed, if you know your computer well, then you can probably find some odd files in the windows or system directory.

i ran the old version of ad-aware and it didnt detect it. later i d/l'ed the new one and got the updated reference file and it found it. search-explorer might be a helpful tool and so was gator, but i dont like pop-up downloads. i see them as viruses taking control of the system.

thanks for the help people. i got rid of it.

#negative_zero

The Iceman Cometh
    Oops. I thought, when you said "Search-Explorer" that you meant the one built into Internet Explorer (see following link: http://www.netmag.co.uk/ie5/search.htm) But now I see which Search Explorer you're talking about. Sorry for the mix-up.

AJ