Thread: Recommendation for Scanner for listening ports

Recommendation for Scanner for listening ports

Hi, Im running WinXP Pro, ZAPro and NAV 2002. I use PestPatrol and The cleaner regularly. I have been searching for a program that will scan my ports and let me know which programs are listening on which ports etc.

I ran ShieldsUp and it said all my ports are stealthed, but I would like to know more about what is going on with my ports and which ones are listening and why! Any recommendations for a freeware scanner?

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Search for nmap, or languard here. Both good in my opinion.

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    Thats the ticket. Follow the above advice. In my work I have paid big $$$$$$, and I mean BIG $$$$ for many so called security progies. But then, "bingo" here is this very nice free program that does an excellent scan and even offers testing of password security and many more feature for free. So I have to agree with xmaddness. For the money (Read: FREE) You can't beat this app. I use Linux but I use MS Win32 platforms on my network as well. This app gives me all the info I need when I run it on one of my win boxes. It gives up the in on all the boxes including the *nix boxes on my network. Concidering you can pay big money for network tools. You can't beat this tool for free. So, go for it.

TY xmaddness for reminding people of this progy.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Talking

Thanks for the responses, I have looked at Languard website, looks brilliant. I will opt for that one, many thanks for the reccomendations and advice folks

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    No problem. GFI has done an excellent job in making a very powerful and easy to use network scanner. I have used them solely for all my scanning needs. I recommened nmap because i know many people swear by it, although i have never used the windows version of it. I think I'm going to get it tonight and see how it stands up against LanGuard.
    x

Thanks a lot xmaddness
    Living in my world is like falling from a building : \"till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still al.... \"

I understood your question to be what shows what ports are open on your pc and what programs are bound to them. There are several around, one of which is fport. To my understanding it is free.

http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/proddesc/fport.html

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Search for nmap
    you can find a windows version of nmap here, called nmapnt
    so far I had some driver problems under XP though, might be it does not work yet, yet perhaps I did not look on the net yet properly for a solution.
    another port of nmap for windows is nmapwin, yet so far it failed to run properly on my 2000 box, perhaps you have more luck though.
    \"Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way\"
    - kroesjnov

http://www.dsinet.org/alt.security.nl
    http://www.securitydatabase.net
    email: kroesjnov@clownz.internet (remove inter to reply)
    UIN: 150938962
    MSN: kroesjnov_sec@hotmail.com
    pgp ID: 0xDF154D85

Originally posted here by kroesjnov

another port of nmap for windows is nmapwin, yet so far it failed to run properly on my 2000 box, perhaps you have more luck though.
    ah, had 5 mins left before I got to work, and I got the new version running with the -win_pcap option (if I recall that syntax right, yet u get the drift), guess I better read up on this, cause I thought nmap was build on this driver ;)
    I think though this problem can be contributed to a local driver issue, since it gave me a error in packet.dll

btw: also just tried to install it on XP, yet the service does not wish to be installed :\

languard sounds nice to, downloading it now to give it a testdrive :)
    thx for the tip
    \"Wisdom lies not in obtaining knowledge, but in using it in the right way\"
    - kroesjnov

http://www.dsinet.org/alt.security.nl
    http://www.securitydatabase.net
    email: kroesjnov@clownz.internet (remove inter to reply)
    UIN: 150938962
    MSN: kroesjnov_sec@hotmail.com
    pgp ID: 0xDF154D85

ki
    I know good scanner, and EXTREMELY fast !!!
    Angry IP Scanner 2.05
    Someone gave it to me so I'm not sure where to find it, I'll search it if you whish

Please tell me if there is any problems
    Living in my world is like falling from a building : \"till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still alive, till now I\'m still al.... \"