Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ~*~*Are we ready for another CyberAttack?*~*~

Thanks.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

LOL lets see the US invented all this out here and as a gift gave it to the entire world, yes other countries were involved also like the UK but the ones that got the ball rolling were the USA! Now lets say you deface a few hundred or thousands of dot gov web sites. What a wated effort because anything you find exposed is public fluff. Ten again thats what us Americans are all about easy going relaxed hard to anger but if provoked stand in the open and fight for our rights and those of others. Seems I do not recall the US ever hiding behind a god to launch a war, see lots of Americans pissed and angy but don'r send our children to a bus stop loaded with explosives, do not take random lives but in rare exceptions of twisted one person acts. We suck then we may just unplug you from the web or leave the remains for you to battle over while our next generation on networks has been built and is growing every day. We are very secure in the fact we can and have always kicked ass, we have never been defeated we simply width drew from lost causes. Then turn around and assist those same people that say defeated us. Humm we will do what we must
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Palemoon? Where are you from? And how old are you? I keep thinking you are using a translator to post here. It sounds like it. :::shrugs::: Just wondering. Good posts. . . but hard to read.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Oh me am American, the post may be a bit disjointed due to a head injury a few years back or the fact I'm from a multi cultural family, or cause I am left handed LOL. Age ah will old as dirt do? Really though am older and had to re-learn much about 10 years ago including much network stuff but I do OK like to see all the smart younger people some a bit off center but hey I am. So 3 languages and several cultures later I end up expressing myself as a total sum of all parts. Nothing is exclusive for me language culture and well English and spelling often my damaged head switches to what is easer. See I did it again damn!
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Hmmm. Ok.

Thanks Rogue, guess it comes down to this I read lots of white papers about such matters and even know a top person at a dot edu I work for. I rely upon dot edu's cause the best are at them not cause they make a huge buck but cause they want to make a difference. Try a google on Dave Dietrich one of the for most top web security experts out here, me I listen to him not the .com sell you this people.

I wonder if the US gov/mil have zombies (that they put in) spread accross their networks to be able to retaliate if it ever came to that? (Or would they just order backbones shutdown?)

There's one thing that anoyes me in the article though, they say that fears of y2k proved unwarranted: I disagree: it's because of the fears that people took action and that thus nothing happened, not because the treath wasn't real. The same logic applies to cyberthreats, there's this fear spreading now, which will prompt action so that we don't fall to an attack.

If you think preparing well was worthless because nothing happened, you miss the point. Better be safe than sorry...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Good question. Lets ask them. heh

I think the US has a long way to go in security, its not just the gov job its the peoples job as well! sure terrorist could use computer to break into secure site and such but thats not how they operate, using low tech techniques are the best way to hurt the people... lets say the attackers on 9/11 instead of spending $1000s of dollars in flight school used those resources to break into the FAA network an turn off the radars or poisoned the data sent and recieved to the pilots. they want the biggest bang for the buck!!!! i'm not saying terrorist can't or won't use those means, but they tend to use low tech means to hurt and scare the masses.
    america wake up alot of areas around airports across the country are insecure( empty lots and such) a shoulder launched missile in the trunk of a car attacking a plane landing or departing and we could be in big trouble again! keep your eyes and ear open security is everyones job!!!

Originally posted here by Syini666
    US Security does suck, but im not worried about minuteman missiles (our main nukes) being controlled by computer, because they can't be remotely fired. A human spends 12 hours actually strapped into a chair bolted to the floor in front of the controls, and only he/she has the ability to launch.
    Not sure if that's so much the case, anymore. And I believe that a computer controls the notification to the silos to actually perform the launch. So, in effect, it's the same.

But, to their credit, most of those networks are physically isolated such that "getting in" to the network that controls it is, well... a physical issue, to begin.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"