Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall and Gateway combos...

Exclamation Firewall and Gateway combos...

I have a small 4 computer home Ethernet LAN, and I've been trying to find a good combination of Firewalls and Gateways to get it to give less of a signature to anyone who may be "looking" At first I started out with Zone Alarm for a firewall and Proxy Plus to allow my LAN to use the internet. I just recently started experimenting with other combinations after hearing about some holes in Z.A. Currently I am using Avirt Gateway and Tiny Personal Firewall. Anyway, my question is this, does anyone know of a really good combination of programs, that are win and linux friendly, as my LAN has both on it.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

upgrade to tiny pro, i like that alot. its about 170 bucks if i remember correctly, it rocks.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Computer Forensics
    simple....OpenBSD...or setup one of your linux boxes with netfilter......voila....firewall and gateway.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

www.clarkconnect.org

Easy to setup and use, nice features, very reliable.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

As HogFly said... an OpenBSD box with ipf running or similiar, running as a dual-homed bastion host in front of your LAN. <edit>Last I remember OpenBSD came with both ipfilter (ipf) and ipNAT on the thing... all you have to do is to turn it/them on and configure them</edit>
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I've used clarkconnect for a while now and I use the dynamic DNS feature and the mail gateway feature and it rocks. Haven't had any issues to speak of.

For the not-so-linux-inclined it's great....
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.

Ahh yes,

All those may be well and good but my personal favorite is Redhat Linux running iptables! There are a lot of good examples out there to go off of (google will provide a plethora.) it also happens to be a free solution, which is also good. Done properly, this setup will easily put your system into the "good luck..." catagory with many 99999's in your difficulty rating when someone does a system detection. You can also have fun mangling your ports if you're feeling really froggy, but that can be a challenge with many different OS's in your private subnet.

A bit of advice though, make sure you understand every piece of every rule that you use. It can be easy to fork up when you're first learning it.

If you read about clarkconnect you'll find out that that's exactly what it is except it has all other services disabled and a bunch of little things done to it to make it more secure. Plus it's an easy LINUX system to install and configure and you don't have to go learn about dependencies and all that crap just to protect yourself.
    America - Land of the free, home of the brave.

everyone > thanx for all the help. As of now I have to use my windows 2kp workstation as the gateway for my lan, because I dont have a desktop ready with linux yet (i've been downloading SuSE)
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

In that case, give Outpost a try for your firewall.. http://agnitum.com/products/outpost/ ..

Excellent interface and functionality...it's a bit of a pain with a dial-up connection sometimes, but I assume that's not a problem.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor