Thread: Top 10 tut Authors

Top 10 tut Authors

I notice that we now have a top 10 tutorial posters list on the home page (nice work btw JP )

Just to raise one concern however - the ORDER BY algorithm for this list seems to be directly related to the number of tutorials posted - which includes the copy and paste variety and those paraphrasing the FAQ to try to get their APs out of the red. (NOTE: I am in no way implying that this is the case with any of the listed tutorial writers - but it does open up the system to abuse by people posting worthless tuts).

Unless Neg is going to moderate all posts and move/delete posts that break the rules (which sounds like a mammoth task) it might be better to change the ORDER BY clause of this algorithm to:
    SELECT TOP 10 ... FROM ... ORDER BY sum(Antipoints received for tutorials)
    This would have the effect of weeding out the worthless tutorials (ie the ones just posted to get on the top 10 tut posters list) from the fine work that is posted here by many contributors.

Just a thought. Once again JP, thanks for another cool feature
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Banned
    The mammoth task is done already
    All tutorials listed in the Index are, afaik, original ones.
    Maybe you could help out JP and count them by hand

Wow - Is it manual??!!??

/me wants to be just like neg when he grows up. lol.

I thought it was along the lines of:
    SELECT count(posts) where forumid = x and userid = y
    I could probably delete this thread now, but I think I might leave it a while as a testament to the hard work by JP and the ops that goes on behind the scenes, that most of us never see.
    \"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.\"
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Banned
    OK Mr. Smarty-pants...

If you want to exclude all non-original ones, you just have to query something like this:

Code:
    SELECT count(posts) from PostID316633
    WHERE userid = y
    By the time your algorithm (SELECT count(posts) where forumid = 59 and userid = y ORDER BY sum(Antipoints received for tutorials)) is done, I have counted it twice already by hand. I mean, all you have to do is look at the index, put all the names you see there on a piece of paper, and mark their name for every tutorial that appears in the index and has their name behind it... and voila, a top-10 list of original-tutorial-writers...

Some of the 'worthless tutorials' you are talking about received lots of greenies; your top-10 list would still include copy-and-pasted tutorials... My hand-work wouldn't.

Like I said Neg - you the man
    Sir Winston Churchill.

Hail to all tutorial posters. Keep up the good work. Newbies need men like you.
    Listen closely to your enemies. They tell you your faults.