outpost any good?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: outpost any good?

Lightbulb outpost any good?

i was searching the net the other day and i came across i firewall called outpost. there is a free version and a pro version you can pay to upgrade to, alot like zonealarm. but reading the site they claim that it is the most featured packed software firewall out there, i must admit from reading the stuff on the site it looks impressive i was just wandering if anybody uses outpost firewall, either the free or pro version and i would like to know what your views are of it.

Outpost is very good.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    Okay, I am ready to be bashed for this statement, but in doing so I want you honest opinion. I have been using McAfee Firewall ever since I had problems with Tiny Personal Firewall. I have grown a fondness to McAfee Firewall, and I was wondering about your opinions on McAfee Firewall.

Jebus, I never heard about outpost, but I will check in on others comments. I could also use a change or atleast a back up plan.

i myself use mcafee firewall, and i believe it to be a very good firewall. it tells me when people port scan me, what type of port scan it was etc.... it has lots of features and a firewall intrusion monitor =D

the only problem i am having with it, is that i cant play the new counter-strike unless my firewall is turned off cus it stops communication over port 27012

and i cant work out how to configure it to allow it, so if their is a downside i would say that it can be a bit complicated at times!

I have used McAfee firewall and have not found many issues, except that Panda AV (both latest Platinum and Titanium) and McAfee PFW 7.5 does not seems to like each other on my XP box. It can be something in my setup but the problem magically dissapears asap I uninstall either of them .

The nice thing when McAfee FW crashes is that my network stops responding totally until I rebooted the puter. Better this way then have a unprotected XP (nightmare).

I have notified Pandasoftware and are waiting for their answer.

Except my little problem do I like both Outpost and McAfee FW and can recomend them if Im forced to do that .

Originally posted here by Fakeboy
    Okay, I am ready to be bashed for this statement, but in doing so I want you honest opinion. I have been using McAfee Firewall ever since I had problems with Tiny Personal Firewall. I have grown a fondness to McAfee Firewall, and I was wondering about your opinions on McAfee Firewall.

Jebus, I never heard about outpost, but I will check in on others comments. I could also use a change or atleast a back up plan.
    Mcafee didn't stand up to my lab tests well. But it's ultimately up to you.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned
    you had to pay for ZA Pro? i never noticed that before.......oh well, i guess my step father paid for it then...... hmmmmmmm

Banned
    It does LOOK impressive with that chart full of no's. I would read it but it is straining my eyes. And I haven't heard of outpost before but I have heard of the site it is on, agnitum. Why not try it? You have nothing to lose, there are so many firewalls out there that different people will be better suited to different firewalls.

i have tried outpost on an xp box. I liked it. I just haven't had the time to play with it yet. However, the firewall that I like best is sygate...It is a tough one :-) I am going to be trying different firewalls on my home network to see which one performs best....Ill keep you updated if you wish on what i find. If you do, just pm me :-)
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Banned
    I have no problems playing C-Strike on my System w/ McAfee Firewall. Did you recheck the permissions?