ssl cert

Thread: ssl cert

Post ssl cert

Hey all,

I am setting up a new server, for a starting online shop.
    We are looking for a ssl certificate..
    Well, I know I could go for a verisign one wich will cost me more then $300 or some others, never below $150 a year.
    since it is a starting bussiness we can't afford it.

Right now we are thinking of using the standerd (snake oil) one provided by the mod-ssl in (apache).
    But that gives realy stupid popup notification (check ot http://webmail.worldcity.nl for an example)

I was wondering if anyone knows a cheaper way to get a good ssl certificate that won't give the dreaded "cannot be validated" message.

thanks in advance
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

The Iceman Cometh
    For that webmail site (as well as many others I Know of), you simply have to install the certificate, and the problem goes away. Only install it if you are absolutely sure it's authentic, though... I know it's not what you're asking, but I figure it may help you make a decision.

AJ

Depends on what you are wanting to do with that server, but most servers have some kind of a script that will generate a certificate for your site. It will show up as signed by an unrecognized agency, but will show the rest of the fields as valid and will allow the page to work correctly. If you are doing an online shop, you should go ahead and get something that is signed by a recognized authority.

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

It'll be a slack linux box with the latest 1.3.26 apache server.

I want a ssl certificat signed by a recognized authority..
    But here comes the tricky part. We can't go spending more then $200,= for a ssl cert by verisign.

So all I'm looking for is a recognized authority that is a lot cheaper...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Quick search on Google for signing authorities turned up:
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...horities/?tc=1

They pretty much have a monopoly though so good luck finding a cheap one...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

The Iceman Cometh
    Honestly, if you want to be a good online store, you want a good certification provider. If I were you, I'd do what I could to scrounge up some money (maybe get another VC) and set aside enough to pay for a minimum of three years of service from a signing authority. (I personally have been *very* happy with Verisign, but as an individual and a business owner).

AJ