Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7 Years Old Boy

At 7 I was probably a lot more competant than I am now. My dad was an editor and he's always had top of the range equipment because he's one of the most proficient in his area so he's used to high standards. So I mean, I can remember as far back as when I was 3 being taught how to use stuff, because that's all he's into, so what else would he bond with his kids over? My brother and could operate DoS confidently, although probably not very efficiently, but still; when you're that young you just assume whatever you're doing is what you should be doing, and you apply yourself to it a lot better than you do as you age. When kids acquire a first language, they will have learnt the structure completely by the time they reach age 7. Interestingly if they only commence learning a year or two before this point, they will still have acquired all the basic rules by age 7. And those years are the best to start on second and third languages. So it's probably pretty similar with computer literacy; if you start young enough, you will have the capacity to acquire it as a sort of language. A child of 7 *should* be able to perform more competantly than older people with the same level of experience, because that's how our brains work. Or so I was told in linguistics...It's still impressive though!

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Koll: That was uncalled for.

My brother and could operate DoS confidently
    Erm, You mean "DOS" right? When I see "DoS" with a small o, then I think of Denial of Service, rather than Disk Operating System.

Unless you really *could* operate a denial of service attack confidently, in which case I shall hide and phj33r.

Well, it sounds a bit fishy to me, to get it at 7, but since I really don't know what kind of questions were faced or what experience the kid had... <shrug> Who knows.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

no, i meant DoS. definitely.

ok you're right, i have joined the leagues of the damned who have difficulty holding down shift!!!!111111

*sigh*

xxx
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Originally posted here by Lady HaxX0r
    When kids acquire a first language, they will have learnt the structure completely by the time they reach age 7. Interestingly if they only commence learning a year or two before this point, they will still have acquired all the basic rules by age 7. And those years are the best to start on second and third languages. So it's probably pretty similar with computer literacy; if you start young enough, you will have the capacity to acquire it as a sort of language. A child of 7 *should* be able to perform more competantly than older people with the same level of experience, because that's how our brains work. Or so I was told in linguistics...It's still impressive though!

XXX

That is actually not true. People have been saying children acquire language easier then adults, but it is actually not true. My girlfriend just got her masters of science in TESOL(teaching english to speakers of other languages) and that was one of the first things that her instructors made a big point about. The really strange thing about this is that I have taken child development courses before and I had been taught that in my undergrad classes. But when you get to the master level courses in linguistics they teach you that it is not actually the case. Kind of like how they teach kids that electrons orbit the nucleus in orbits in early science courses, and then later in school they teach you about electron clouds of probability.

The only thing that is true is that children that are proficient in one language can acquire a second language much easier then a child that is not even proficient in the first language, this goes for adults as well. I also have to disagree with the statement that children will acquire all the basic skills by the time they are 7. Perhaps in an ideal learning situation this is true, but that ideal situation very rarely happens in the real world.

I can provide you with reference material if you would like.

I was into DOS at the age of seven. My old brother had UNIX running on his box, but I never really bothered with it until I was about 9 or 10. I learnt my first programming languages at the age of 11, when I learnt JavaScript.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    ok the mous isnt that great of a thing but at 7 it is good....well he must have been a very bored rish kid ...i saw my first computer at the age of 16 and now i am age 17
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"