Question about FreeBSD.

Thread: Question about FreeBSD.

Question about FreeBSD.

How many CD's does FreeBSD have? I went to there FTP site and downloaded all of 4.6 and it has 5 CD's. I tried asking the people in IRC but it seems like they are ignoring my questions.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

There are five, you only need the first two, unless you install the ports. That's really bad grammar but I'm feeling lazy today.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I believe a single install of FreeBSD is one CD, but don't quote me on that!

Originally posted here by KorpDeath
    There are five, you only need the first two, unless you install the ports. That's really bad grammar but I'm feeling lazy today.
    what do you mean by ports?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Originally posted here by halbotj
    I believe a single install of FreeBSD is one CD, but don't quote me on that!
    Sorry I quoted you, but you are right if you don't install any extra packages. If it's just the OS, then yeah, the first CD would do.

Casper - ports are for development of the FreeBSD kernel and such. Don't know much more because I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

thanks all who helped me.

Get the freebsd 4.6 mini-iso. Its pretty small weighing in at a mere 180mb.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

i already downloaded all 5 cds. i was just curious at why there are some many.